How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16579
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My case is a report of identification theft and I discovered

This answer was rated:

My case is a report of identification theft and I discovered about 4years ago and don't know what to do until now when I stumble on this site. I graduated in the U.S.A and returned to my country and have not been around since. I like to investigate and know the thief so I can re claim my social security which I am in procession of the original card obtained in 1971.Kindly advise on how to go about this.
I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

Thank you for your question. While we cannot assist you in locating the person who stole your identity, I can tell you some steps to take now that you know about the theft. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission online or by calling them at 1-877-438-4338. This will alert the government that your social security number has been abused.

Then you can obtain a credit report from one of the three credit agencies and see what accounts have been opened using your information. All of them will be fraudulent, because you would not have credit in the US if you haven't been here since the 1970s.

Then, you can file a police report where the identity was stolen. Look to your credit report to see if any addresses are associated with your social security number.

You can read more about reporting identity theft, by clicking HERE.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Megan C and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You asked me to report at,ya,but I live in my coutry now -NIGERIAhow can I handle replies etc and what did I stand to benefit in this apart from my intergrety.