How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in the USA (worked there until 26 1/2 yrs old).

This answer was rated:

I was born in the USA (worked there until 26 1/2 yrs old). Moved to Northern Ireland and worked there in Belfast until I retired in March 2008. I believe I have 38 quarters of work accured in the USA. Is there an agreement between the US and GB as far employment goes so I could make up the 2 quarters that I am missing. Is social security benefits calculated on a minimum of 40 quarters. My birth date is Nov. 13, 1947. If this is possible what paperwork would I need to submit to get social security benefits each month. thanks for your help.

Arthur Rubin :

There is a "totalization agreement" between the United States and the United Kingdom for Social Security benefits. Social Security suggest you contact.

  • The Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in London (phone 207-499-9000) to file for U.S. benefits; or

  • Any U.K. Social Security office to file for U.K. benefits.

Arthur Rubin :

Or you can apply for US benefits at any UK benefits office.

Arthur Rubin :

You will need, at least, your U.S. and U.K. Social Security numbers, proof of age for all claimants, and information about the worker's coverage under the U.K. system.

Arthur Rubin :

You are correct that UK coverage can be used to cover the required 40 credits if you have at least 6 US credits, and US coverage can be used in the UK to cover the "basic pension", if you have at least one year of UK coverage.

Arthur Rubin :

I'm going to be offline for quite a while, probably at least 12 hours. If you need more information, and that is not acceptable, please "opt" me out. I won't be offended.

Arthur Rubin and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you