Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

we are both retired(over 65) and plan to get married. when

we are both retired(over 65) and plan to get married. when I die will my spouse be able to collect my ss benefit or is there a limit to the number of years that we are married before she can collect.

wbh

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you tonight?

MyVirtualCPA :

You have to be married for at least 9 months before you would be eligible for a survivor's benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

So yes - provided you were married for at least 9 months, your wife would be able to draw your social security benefit upon your death

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with tonight?

Customer:

what percentage would she be able to get

MyVirtualCPA :

She will get 100% of your benefit

Customer:

Thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

But, she will draw either 100% of your benefit, or her benefit - whichever is greater. She will not get your benefit in addition to her benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else you need? If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days, you may receive a short survey from the site. Your positive feedback on that survey is appreciated, as it will help me with my standing on the site.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com