How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 2 year-old son has Down Syndrome and has been receiving

This answer was rated:

My 2 year-old son has Down Syndrome and has been receiving benefits since Dec. 2012 (monthly payments). He is owed around $7000 in back pay. I received a $1900 payment that was deposited into a dedicated account in December 2012. Since then I haven't received anything else. When should some more of the back pay be deposited in the dedicated account?

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.


Back benefits for children are paid in three installments and over a year period. However, by now, you should have received at least the first installment. Accordingly, do not call but go to any SSA office as you will get the information you need a lot faster. Note, part of the holdup could be if you earn too much per month. Or the SSA has not yet received a copy of your tax return from the IRS, Regardless, go to any SSA office as that is the place to start.

dylatess and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I received a first installment Dec. 2012- but nothing else since. I didn't do my taxes - I haven't been employed since before I had my 2 year- old. Should I speak to anyone at the SSA office? Or the same person that interviewed me when we were first approved?