Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Im on SSI because of illness. Now Ive just turned 65. What

Customer Question
I'm on SSI because of...
I'm on SSI because of illness. Now I've just turned 65. What happens now?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Social Security
7/24/2013
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 4 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning Deirdre,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you have turned age 65, you are now eligible for MediCare and you will need to apply for it.

You may still keep SSI and MediCaid even though you will have MediCare as well.

If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from the Social Security Administration, you are automatically eligible for Medicaid and often receive Medicare as well when you turn 65. And if you receive both Medicaid and Medicare, Medicaid will pay your Medicare premium, co-payments and deductibles.

So, contact social security and make your application for MediCare.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug

Do my SSI checks stop?

Hi Deidre,

No, your SSI checks will not stop. By turning 65 you merely get MediCare, and that is not counted as an asset or income to you. You will continue to receive your SSI so long as you qualify for it. MediCare will simply lessen the out of pocket expenses you might have for medical treatment.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Good evening Deidre,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

Is there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thank you very much and take care.

Doug
LawTalk, Attorney