Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
13714381

I retire effective August 31, 2013. Upon application for Medicare

I retire effective August 31, 2013. Upon application for Medicare Part B I received the benefit of extended enrollment because of my work-related health coverage. However, my wife, who was insured under my work-related health coverage was denied the extended enrollment benefit. How can this be fair or just?

Phil Kelley

Arthur Rubin :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Arthur Rubin :

Unfortunately, the law is not always fair. I'm afraid what you have been told represents the state of the law; your wife will have to pay the penalty for late enrollment.

Arthur Rubin :

If you want to change it, you might call your Congressperson. However, with all the upcoming changes in health care, it's unlikely this change would get through Congress.

Arthur Rubin :

I wish I could be of some help, but that's the way it is.

Customer:

Thank you. It is worth the $30 not to be so disposed to begin baying at a tree wherein resides no raccoon.