Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

my 19 yr old daughter receives ssi we moved from wv to pa and

Customer Question

my 19 yr old daughter receives ssi we moved from wv to pa and I got married now they want to cut her ck of $710 down by $200 why is this? it sounded like I wasn't giving her the "figures' she wanted to hear at first it was goin to be cut by $200 and she even stated it may get cut to $400. what can I do?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Stephanie and I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

my 19 yr old daughter receives ssi we moved from wv to pa and I got married now they want to cut her ck of $710 down by $200 why is this? I take it she didn't explain it?

it sounded like I wasn't giving her the "figures' she wanted to hearCould be. A person's SSI is meant to encompass moneys for shelter, food, utilities. Reasons it can be reduced include:

1. She is not paying her prorated share of the housing (i.e. if there are 3 of you living together, she is responsible for paying 1/3 of the rent/mortgage and if she can't, they typically cut about 1/3 off the top - because if she is getting shelter gifted to her (free), then the government/taxpayers need not give her the part of the $710 that was to go towards shelter/food, etc. So, it needs to be well-documented that she is paying her way (prorated share of a shared home) and her own food. If she is not, they will start to dock her.

Also, if she is GIVEN money - that can offset. So, let's say you give her $50/mo for a cell phone bill - usually better to actually PAY her cell phone bill directly, because cash she becomes owner of, starts offsetting that of her SSI benefit.

at first it was goin to be cut by $200 and she even stated it may get cut to $400. what can I do?
Read here: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-living-ussi.htm Depending on what you determine she is overstepping, determine what needs to be stopped.

Often it is necessary to charge the SSI recipient rent, so she is not getting free room and board. And have her pay for her own food and utilities share. You can typically buy her things of a personal nature, if you prefer, since she may be less able to afford those things once she is paying her fair share (i.e. car payment, gas, etc., but do it directly, do not give her the cash to then pay herself).

But really, go through each item and determine if she is not paying her way, as they say, and have her start doing so.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.