Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

MY SPOUSE WAS DISABLED & BECAME A PARAPALEGIC AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT

BACK IN 2006. MY SPOUSE...
MY SPOUSE WAS DISABLED & BECAME A PARAPALEGIC AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT BACK IN 2006. MY SPOUSE PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR MAY 5, 2012. I APPLIED WITH SOCIAL SECURITY FOR SURVIVOR BENIFITS FOR MY CHILDREN . MY CASE WAS DENIED DUE TO MY SPOUSE NOT HAVING AQUIRED ENOUGH WORK CREDITS DURING HIS LIFETIME. LAST WEEK I HAPPENED TO COME ACROSS A PROGRAM CALLED SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME WHICH SPECIFIED THAT UNLIKE SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS, EARNED WORK CREDITS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME. I AM LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE, I DONT KNOW WHERE DO BEGIN, WHO TO CALL, OR WHERE TO APPLY FOR THIS SPECIFIC PROGRAM. I AM A SINGLE MOTHER EARNING VERY LOW INCOME AND AM IN DIRE NEED OF ASSISTANCE FOR MY CHILDREN. YOUR ADVISE & EXPERTISE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED IN THIS MATTER.
SINCERELY, XXXXX XXXXX
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/22/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, and also sorry to hear you were unable to secure survivor's benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you or your children are disabled, you would not qualify for SSI benefits. There are no SSI benefits for survivors

MyVirtualCPA :

Also, your income would have to be below a certain limit, which is only $710 per month and you would have to have less than $2,000 in countable financial resources

MyVirtualCPA :

If you or one (or more) of your children are disabled, then you will go to your local social security office to make an application based on that disability. They will then process your request and let you know within a few weeks if you qualify for the SSI benefit

Customer:

SO I DONT EVEN QUALIFY FOR THE SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY BENEFITS BEING THAT THIS IS A DIFFERENT PROGRAM THAT HELPS PERSONS THAT DID NOT EARN ENOUGH CREDITS

MyVirtualCPA :

No, in order to qualify for the program, you would have to be over the age of 65, blind, or disabled. Or, one of your children would have to be blind or disabled.

MyVirtualCPA :

But, it's true that the program is for those who didn't earn enough credits, but it's for retirement and disability only, not survivors benefits

Customer:

SO EVENTHOUGH MY HUSBAND WAS DISABLED MY CHILDREN DO NOT QUALIFY FOR SURVIVOR BENEFITS DUE TO MY HUSBANDS AILMENT. YOU KNOW IT RREALLY BREAKS MY HEART BECAUSE I SEE SO MANY PEOPLE OUT HTERE RECEIVING SURVIVORS BENEFITS WITH CHILDREN THAT ARE NOT DISABLED & IN THE SAME SITUATION AS MINE WHERE THERE SPOUSE NEVER WORKED. I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THEY WORK THERE WAY AROUND THE SYSTEM & WERE ABLE TO QUALIFY. I WOULDN'T ASK IF I DIDNT NEED THE ASSISTANCE

MyVirtualCPA :

You husband, while he was disabled, could draw SSI based on his own disability. Your children must be disabled in order to qualify for an SSI benefit. So, those receiving SSI who have a deceased parent probably have a disability - or they at least claimed that the child was disabled. Keep in mind that mental disabilities are also counted, so a child might not look disabled but may still be disabled according to social security rules.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you are disabled, then you could also qualify for a benefit

Customer:

IS THIS A TRIAL PERIOD & CAN I GET REFUNDED MY MONEY BACK SINCE I WAS UNABLED TO BE HELPED WITH THIS MATTER.

MyVirtualCPA :

Do any of your children have ADHD?

MyVirtualCPA :

Because, if they do - you could qualify for SSI.

Customer:

I HAVE NEVER TAKEN THEM TO BE CHECKED BUT MY TWO YOUNGEST ARE EXTREMELY HYPER ACTIVE & I DO HAVE TROUBLE WITH THEM AT HOME & AT SCHOOL. HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT GETTING THEM TESTED? WOULD THEY HAVE TO BE REFERRED BY THEIR FAMILY DOCTOR?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you believe your child has special needs such as that, then you should check with your local school system and typically they will have a psychologist that will be able to assess whether or not your children need special treatment in school. If so, if they are diagnosed as ADHD that's a mental disability and you could use that as a starting point to get benefits for those children

MyVirtualCPA :

I would say that your children need to be evaluated, because you believe they need special treatment at school. The school must evaluate that child and give you a determination. Worst case scenario they evaluate the child and they say that they do not see anything wrong.

MyVirtualCPA :

If they evaluate your child, and believe that they need special treatment, then you know you can go to your family doctor for a referral to a mental health professional.

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have further questions?

Customer:

What number would I have to call if I do follow your instructions & my children do end up having ADHD?

MyVirtualCPA :

If your children have ADHD, you would go to your local office and make an application for disability benefits for that child

MyVirtualCPA :

Once the school evaluates your child - if they say that the child needs special attention - then, I would have your family doctor refer you to a mental health professional for another diagnosis. This will help your case.

MyVirtualCPA :

And, as ADHD cases are hard to prove and get approved, I would hire a social security attorney for assistance. They know how the system works, and they typically only get paid if your claim gets approved.

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/applying-for-disability-adhd-attention-deficit.html

MyVirtualCPA :

There's a resource for you.

Customer:

Alright then, I would like to take the time to thank you for your patience & guidance in this matter. Also thank you for offering your condolences. No one can understand how hard it is to lose your significant other until you experience it yourself. Again thank you so much for taking the time to patiently answer my questions this morning. Have a wonderful day. Oh im sorry one last question what is this resource that you are talking about?Is it located on the website that you referred me to?

MyVirtualCPA :

The resource is an article online that you can read, about how to make your ADHD case the best it can be for social security. I'd read it, and try to make sure that you do everything you can to document the case - and use an attorney that will help. Once you are satisfied with your answer, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

MyVirtualCPA :

And I am truly sorry about your situation. I know it's hard, but hopefully this route will get you some extra income.

MyVirtualCPA :

The rating feature is along the bottom of the screen. Five stars gives me credit for this assistance.

Customer:

Thanks Again, I will definetly give you the highest rate for your excellent service.

MyVirtualCPA :

I appreciate it. You have a great day. Also, you will receive a survey in a couple of days from the site, I would appreciate a positive rating on that as well. That helps me with my standing on the site.

Margot,

Thanks so much for the opportunity to work with you today. If you have any further questions about social security, tax, or financial matters - I will be more than happy to assist. I also appreciate your positive rating.