How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 67 year old employed (not retired) university professor.

This answer was rated:

I am a 67 year old employed (not retired) university professor. I anticipate a divorce court ordering
me to pay for debts incurred by my wife for which I am not responsible. My question is this. If I elect to go to prison in protest, is there any way my wife could have access to my social security retirement benefits. She is fully employed at age 49

Good afternoon Philip,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you won’t go to prison for contempt of court for failure to pay your wife's debts ordered by a court in your divorce, if the court doe order any spousal support, and you don't pay that, your ex would be able to have your social security benefits garnished for the arrears of support.

But she will not get a garnishment based on your failure to pay the community property debt---even if she ends up having to pay it.

And because you mentioned it, all social security benefits automatically are suspended any time a beneficiary is incarcerated for more than 30 days---so a person in prison is not entitled to a social security benefit.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


LawTalk and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you