Taxtom
Taxtom, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Preparer and acountant for over 25 years
21049508

Based on my UK pension, my wife had to her UK -National Insurance

Customer Question

Based on my UK pension, my wife had to her UK -National Insurance Credits equivalent US $100.00/month as her Spousal Benefit.. Her UK Graduated retirement Benefit is us $10.70/month. Q. On Which Benefit the Windfall Elimination will apply for her US Social Security. Please reply by the page reference of Social security rules which reads clearly to this effect.

E.Mail:[email protected]

Category: Social Security
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic.
 We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. 

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Rachel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Rachel, Thank you for taking up my question. I am still interested to know the answer. Please quote windfall elimination rule which would establish your answer. Looking forward for the answer.

Thanks.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Rachel
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response: Her own retirement benefits. WEP applies to her own Social Security benefits. Click on the link below:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10045.html

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You did not specify which conform her own retirement benefit. Is it her spousal benefit, graduated retirement benefit or both. Please clarify.

Thanks.

Time to sleep. Looking forward for your answer tomorrow. Good night.

Thanks.

Response: Graduated retirement benefit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please send me the rule (clause) not the whole Act which clearly specify that the Spousal Benefit from foreign country does not fall under Windfall Elimination.

Thank you.

I have already provided you with a link to the Windfall Elimination Provision:

I will op out and give another Expert the opportunity to further assist you as I do not have the time to research the "Rule" for you..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You should reply the question to reach its Logical conclusion. Please do not desert mid course.

Thank you.

Expert:  Lindie-Moderator replied 4 years ago.

I’m Lindie, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Lindie

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Lindie

Thank you for your response. I have not found answer to my question. I wish to continue waiting for another professional.

Thank you.

Best,

Rachel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Taxtom replied 4 years ago.
Hello, the document is http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf any pension received that Social Security tax was not paid on the original earnings that your wife receives will reduce her Social Security benefit. Since your pension is a UK pension that United States SS taxes were not paid it will reduce here SS benefit. It is not a dollar for dollar reduction but it still is a reduction. Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Taxtom,

Thank you for taking time to reply my question. But your answer did not address my question. Sorry I can not release the payment.

Thank you.

Expert:  Taxtom replied 4 years ago.

I think our problem is the different wording of the two countries. We consider both amounts to pensions received that Social Security tax was not paid. and as such both amounts would be used in the windfall calculating. Without knowing the exact amounts it is not possible to give you the reduction in her Social Security. Only Social Security can give you the exact amount. I hope this explains it better.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was not asking the exact amount. I was asking the Exact Rule - Clause. So please lets not waste each others time. I will closing the dialogue.

It has been a disappointing experience.

Thank you & good luck.