Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I was married to my first husband for 23 years, then divorced.

I was married to my first husband for 23 years, then divorced. I have been married 13 years to my present husband. e his in poor health ;he should die, can I draw my first husband's benefits or will I have to draw my second husband's widow's benefits and would they be less than I am drawing as his spouse now?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

After you remarried, you can no longer draw social security benefits off your first husband's earnings record.

MyVirtualCPA :

If your husband is to die, you will draw benefits off of his record. Your benefit would be equal to his full benefit - so, to answer your question, no, the amount would not be lower than what you are drawing now - it would be double.

MyVirtualCPA :

Please let me know if you need anything additional, and please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

If my second husband and I divorced , could I draw my first husband benefits?

Customer:

If I divorce my second husband will be eligible for my first husband's benefits?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you could - and I must apologize, if your husband dies you can also draw off your first husband as well. I'm sorry for that miscommunication. You can verify what I am telling you on social security's website, HERE

Customer:

if I divorce my second husband , can I draw benefits from my first husband

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you would be able to draw benefits off your first husband if your marriage ended with your second husband, whether by death or divorce

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions tonight?

Customer:

NO thanks

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.