How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get an updated benefits statement andXXXXX

Customer Question

How do I get an updated benefits statement and 2012 tax statement?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.

Good morning Lynn,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you have misplaced your Award letter---also known as a proof of income letter, you may get one by going to your local Social Security office and they will get it for you, or you may call social security at 1-800-772-1213 and they can mail you one if you can wait about 10 days.

Finally, you may order one on line at this Social Security site. Click the link at the bottom right of this page which reads START, and follow the instructions:

In asking about the tax statement, I presume that you referring to the Form SSA-1099, which is necessary to do your taxes.If so, and you have not received it yet, it may have been lost in the mail.

You can request a duplicate of your 1099-SSA form by going to the following page of the SSA website. Go to the very bottom of the page and click on "Request for Myself" and then fill out the information it asks you to provide. You will then receive a duplicate form in about 7 to 10 days.




If you need this information immediately, and cannot wait a week to receive it, the only way that you can get it more quickly is to go to your local social security office and they can print out a copy of the benefits paid to you last year.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good evening Lynn,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

Is there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:

Thank you very much and take care.