Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If a non-custodial parent is receiving social security disability

If a non-custodial parent is receiving social security disability payments for his dependent, is he obligated to give said payments, or a portion thereof, to the custodial parent?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

There is no requirement to give the benefits to the custodial parent - but the funds must be spent for the benefit of the child

MyVirtualCPA :

Typically, it is the custodial parent who gets the benefit. It is rare for the non-custodial parent to get the benefit

Customer:

The custodial parent is a disabled veteran and is receiving SS benefits for the child. Should the benefits be going to the custodial parent?

MyVirtualCPA :

The benefits need to go to the child's benefit, and typically it's the custodial parent who can best accomplish that

Customer:

So how to you make the payments go to the custodial parent. Is there someone to contact at Social Security Administration?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes - all you need to do is call 1-800-772-1213 and tell them you wish to change the representative payee

Customer:

Thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

you're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

Please take a moment to rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today