How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired, May 23, 2013, from my California teaching position,

Customer Question

I retired, May 23, 2013, from my California teaching position, at a community college: I receive a pension from CalSTRS. I began receiving Social Security benefits as of my 66th birthday, March 3, 2013.
For a few months, I correctly received $931 -- I was still teaching, was not yet receiving a state pension. My understanding was, as of retirement, I'd receive a lower amount of Social Security -- $510, I think -- and I thought (incorrectly) I'd automatically get the lower amount. However, I'm still receiving $931.
Was I wrong, thinking I'd get a lower amount, once receiving a state pension? If not, how do I get this cleared up?
Thank you for your help.
Richard Speakes (XXX-XX-XXXX)
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon Richard,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are indeed correct that while you were not receiving your CalSTRS pension, there would be no offset under the WEP.

I believe what has happened is that social security simply does not know that you are receiving your pension yet. This is not something that CalSTRS would file a notice of.

So, if you have been receiving the full benefit and your CalSTRS pension at the same time, social security will eventually catch it---perhaps not until next year when you file your taxes and they will seek an overpayment from you. You will have to pay the overage back to social security.

You will want to immediately contact social security, let them know that you are now receiving the CalSTRS pension now, and have them get the benefit amount straightened out. They will ask you to reimburse the overpayment and if you do that, your benefit next year will not be negatively affected.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good evening Richard,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

Is there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:

Thank you very much and take care.