Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If I take my social security at 63 when my husband takes his

If I take my social security at 63 when my husband takes his social security at 66 can I take 1/2 of his when I reach 66 and will it be for the full amount or will it be at a reduced amount since I took my ss at 63?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Your benefit would be reduced, since you drew your social security benefit early

MyVirtualCPA :

They would calculate your benefit by taking 1/2 of your husband's benefit, and subtract out what your benefit would have been had you retired at full retirement age

MyVirtualCPA :

and take that amount, and add it to what you are currently drawing.

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if half your husband's benefit is $1,200 and your full retirement age benefit is $1,000 and you are drawing $750 because you drew early,

MyVirtualCPA :

you will take $1,200 - $1,000 = $200 and add $200 to $750. Your benefit would be $950, not $1,200