How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am engaged to someone who receives ssi. If we were to marry,

This answer was rated:

I am engaged to someone who receives ssi. If we were to marry, would he be able to get ssi through my social security as my spouse. I am still working
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

No he would not – in fact he may lose his SSI benefits based upon the value of your combined assets and/or your income.

SSI benefits are need-based. The income limit for the SSI program is currently $710 per month and $1066 for couples. Therefore if you are earning more than $1066 per month, marriage may cause your husband to lose his SSI benefits

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you