How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37395
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know what the process is to become my own Social

This answer was rated:

I would like to know what the process is to become my own Social Security Representative Payee. It is my sister currently, and she said she would like me to be the payee, but she thought I might lose my social security if we request this change. I completely manage my own money at this time, but I also have a fairly large bank account ($90,000), due to an inheritance, and I receive additional ( though limited) income from a rental property which I am part owner of. I would like to have the Social Security check to automatically be deposited into my own bank account, rather than given to my sister, and she would also prefer this. Should I try to become my own payee or do I actually risk losing my social security disability income altogether? I originally started to receive it for depression/eating disorder when I was 18 and in treatment at that time, but have not been receiving treatment of any type or even seeing a doctor for years. And Social Security has not reviewed my case for a long time.

Good morning Lynn,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you would like to have social security terminate your Representative Payee and begin paying your benefits directly to you, you may do so. You will not lose your benefits simply because you want to be paid directly.

The way to ask to have the Representative Payee terminated is to fill out this form:

As you can see by the form, as you are only wanting to end the payments to the Representative Payee, all you need to do is to mark the box in "Item 1" on the form, and then answer only items 3, 5, 6, and 8 before signing the form on page 4.

Then simply take the form you filled out, or mail it, to your social security office nearest you and they will look into the request for you and notify you by mail if and when your request is approved.

Your benefits will not be terminated just because you ask that the Representative Payee's job be terminated and the benefits instead paid to you directly.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I looked at the form you referred to online, and as far as I can tell, it is not one meant to be filled out in order to become your own payee. That is what I am wondering- the process of getting my social security benefits myself. And I am concerned about losing my income from social security, especially if they knew of my inheritance. Your reply really did not fully answer my question. I need to know what both my sister and I need to do in order to change who receives the check each month and if there is any real chance of my losing it, in the event they would review my case and decide I was not eligible.

Good morning Lynn,

I'm sorry for any confusion, but please look again at the form I gave you. It is the form to be used---I assure you.

The directions immediately above Item 1 state: "Answer item 1 ONLY if you are the claimant and want your benefits paid directly to you." This is the form to be used when someone is asking to be appointed as a payee of benefits. Because you already have a payee, you use this form to change the payee to yourself---because they are your benefits.


An inheritance has no impact on your eligibility for disability. You could be a millionaire and still qualify for social security disability.

The only questions that you need to fill out on this form ate Items 1, 3, 5, 6, and 8 before signing the form on page 4.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


LawTalk and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
In follow up, Lynn,

Your sister needs to do nothing at all. All you need to do is to fill out the form and get it to social security. They will handle the rest.

Have a great weekend!

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, . It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I want a $30.00 refund for my social security question.