How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do I get my x s social security since he died in 2009.

Customer Question

how do I get my x 's social security since he died in 2009. and I need the extra money to live on.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you can provide the social security office with your divorce decree, and a copy of the death certificate for your ex-husband, and if you can also provide them with his social security number, they will be able to process your claim for survivor benefits.

The survivor benefit available to you will be the greater of your present benefit, or the amount of the benefit he was either eligible for, or was receiving, at the time of his death.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I live in Florida now and my husband died in Pa. 2009 I do have divorce papers, /but I never really new his social security No. And I don't have a copy of the death certicficate,but I know he die of heart diease and he died on march 9 2009 will that help you any .

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

You will have to order a copy of the death certificate from the state where he died. You can order the death certificate from this site by phone or by mail:

As for his social security number, if you ever file joint tax returns, it will be there on the copies of your returns. However, if you can get the death certificate and the divorce records, the social security office can probably track down his number as well.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,