Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

how do i find out if i have been approved for my disability

Customer Question
on the computer...
how do i find out if i have been approved for my disability on the computer
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/18/2012
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 5 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

AlexiaEsq. :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.

AlexiaEsq. :

Did you receive any paperwork yet regarding an award of benefits?

AlexiaEsq. :

How long ago did you apply?

Customer:

i applied back on 10/10/11 have not received any award of benefits my doctor signed off on my disability saying nothing else can be done the nerves in the left arm and hand have to heal on there own and they may not come back completly and i am left hand domanet i write left handed and have tried to teach myself to try and write with my right hand

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Hi, thank you for your patience. With regard to your added info:

i applied back on 10/10/11 have not received any award of benefits OK, then you have not won your claim yet. They are still deciding. They do not post it online, they send you a letter. Sometimes, if you gave them direct deposit info, you actually receive a deposit for back benefits before you even get the letter - by a few days.

my doctor signed off on my disability Doctor's doing so is ignored by the SSA, since the doctor does not have the vocations background or credentials to determine if there are any specific occupations in the regional or national economy, in signifcant numbers, that you can do. However, the doctor's prognosis is helpful for determining the one arm limitations.

saying nothing else can be done the nerves in the left arm and hand have to heal on there own OK, that he helpful, but use of only one hand, if there are not other impairments or limitations, does not meet the SSA rules on disability, so hopefully there is more. This is because the SSA rules say that there are significant numbers of jobs in the economy that do not require bilateral hand use.

and they may not come back completly and i am left hand domanet i write left handed and have tried to teach myself to try and write with my right hand - If you can add to your claim any other troubles medically you may have, such as back pain/injury, arthritis, depression, etc., now would be the time - otherwise, you may have to do it on Reconsideration appeal.

Hope this clarifies and I wish you the best.

Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answer. Until then your payment is simply kept by the company, JustAnswer.com, and not shared with me. So, please click the ACCEPT icon if my Answer has been informative, and helpful to your understanding of the law. Thanks again.

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq