How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My social security number may have been compromised by the

Resolved Question:

My social security number may have been compromised by the possible theft of a "thumb drive" that I was using to back up a computer that was behaving strangely. I have alerted the credit agencies. However, I am currently receiving SS benefits, and I'm concerned that a thief could change the payment address, etc. The potential data compromise was very serious in scope, and included my address, phone nos., electronic signature, last 4 digits of my bank accounts, credit cart accounts, etc. What should I do now?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

You need to report this possibility to SSA and the IRS as soon as possible to protect yourself.


Here, first is some information from the IRS:

Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft


ID Theft Tool Kit

Are you a victim of identity theft?
If you receive a notice from the IRS, please call the number on that notice.

If not, contact the IRS at

Fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039

(Please write legibly and follow the directions on the back of the form that relate to your specific circumstances.)

Credit Bureaus




Other Resources

Visit the Federal Trade Commission or call the FTC toll-free identity theft helpline:

Visit the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) to learn more about their internet crime prevention tips

Report Suspicious Emails

Report suspicious online or emailed phishing scams to:
[email protected]

For phishing scams by phone, fax or mail, call:

For More Information

We know identity theft is a frustrating process for victims. We take this issue very seriously and continue to expand on our robust screening process in order to stop fraudulent returns.

What is identity theft?

Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information such as your name, Social Security number (SSN) or other identifying information, without your permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.

How do you know if your tax records have been affected?

Usually, an identity thief uses a legitimate taxpayer's identity to fraudulently file a tax return and claim a refund. Generally, the identity thief will use a stolen SSN to file a forged tax return and attempt to get a fraudulent refund early in the filing season.

You may be unaware that this has happened until you file your return later in the filing season and discover that two returns have been filed using the same SSN.

Be alert to possible identity theft if you receive an IRS notice or letter that states that:

  • More than one tax return for you was filed,
  • You have a balance due, refund offset or have had collection actions taken against you for a year you did not file a tax return, or
  • IRS records indicate you received wages from an employer unknown to you.

What to do if your tax records were affected by identity theft?

If you receive a notice from IRS, respond immediately. If you believe someone may have used your SSN fraudulently, please notify IRS immediately by responding to the name and number printed on the notice or letter. You will need to fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039.

For victims of identity theft who have previously been in contact with the IRS and have not achieved a resolution, please contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll-free, at 1-800-908-4490.

How can you protect your tax records?

If your tax records are not currently affected by identity theft, but you believe you may be at risk due to a lost/stolen purse or wallet, questionable credit card activity or credit report, etc., contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490.

How can you minimize the chance of becoming a victim?

  • Don't carry your Social Security card or any document(s) with your SSN on it.

  • Don't give a business your SSN just because they ask. Give it only when required.

  • Protect your financial information.

  • Check your credit report every 12 months.

  • Secure personal information in your home.

  • Protect your personal computers by using firewalls, anti-spam/virus software, update security patches, and change passwords for Internet accounts.

  • Don't give personal information over the phone, through the mail or on the Internet unless you have initiated the contact or you are sure you know who you are dealing with.

Next, Social Security:


You should attend to this as quickly as possible. Thieves realize their time to act is short and do their work quickly.

CGCPA and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you