How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Taxtom Your Own Question
Taxtom, Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2364
Experience:  Tax Preparer and acountant for over 25 years
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Taxtom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away in November and his Social Security benefit

Resolved Question:

My father passed away in November and his Social Security benefit stopped. My mother is still living and drawing her Social Security benefit plus a cost of living increase which started in January of this year. I was informed that my mother would receive my father's social security benefit since it was the larger of the two benefits and that my mother's benefit would thus stop. There has been no such change in her benefit. What are the facts on this matter? Mom is 86 years of age.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Taxtom replied 5 years ago.

Taxtom :

Hello, Yes she can choose to take your fathers benefit instead of her own, she just needs to apply for the benefit. The easiest eay is at your local Social Security office.

Taxtom and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you