Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I was born 02/02/1948. At what age am I eligible to draw my

Customer Question
I was born 02/02/1948....
I was born 02/02/1948. At what age am I eligible to draw my full social security benefit and medicare?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/10/2012
Social Security Expert: dylatess, ATTORNEY replied 6 years ago
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Thanks for youfr question. note, you will reach full retirement age at age 66. That means you can retire at age 66 without taking an early SS retirement penalty. Note at age 62, for example, the penalty is 30%. Likewise, if you retire at 66 and still work, and earn more than $14,160 for the year, your SS checks are reduced by one dollar for every two dollars you earn in excess of $14160. However, at age 67, there is no longer an earnings cap. Hope this helps explain what is a very confusing area of the law. I wish you well.
Does that also mea I cannot get on medicare until I am 67?
NO at age 65, you can get Medicare by simply applying and you do not need to begin taking your SS retirement benefits to be eligible for Medicare.

dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY