retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
16356563

My social security is direct deposited into my checking account.

My social security is direct deposited into my checking account. I want to change the account; i.e. I want it to be deposited into a different checking account. I would like to make this change as quickly as possible. How should I do this?

Thank you.

Dorothy Tippit
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 6 years ago.

KUMI95 :

Under the Social Security rules, to start, change, or stop your direct deposit online, you must already receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits and have a bank account.

Step 1: Obtain a password

Step 2: Login

If you prefer not to make a change online, you can:

If you are planning to cancel your direct deposit or Direct Express®, you should know effective March 1, 2013, the Department of the Treasury will require all monthly benefits paid by electronic payment.

KUMI95 :

You can contact as soon as possible and give them your new account information, and they will change it.

KUMI95 :

Also:

KUMI95 :

Set up a new bank account with your local bank that is federally insured. Ask about an Electronic Transfer Account (ETA), which usually incurs lower costs than an ordinary checking account. It may restrict the number of withdrawals you can make each month, but is set up specifically for direct deposit.

• Assemble the information needed to change bank accounts for Social Security benefits. This includes a personal check or statement from the new account and your Social Security number.

• 3

Call Social Security at (NNN) NNN-NNNNand request a change or complete the Direct Deposit Form and take it to your bank or Social Security office. You may choose to change Social Security benefits, but not SSI, by acquiring a password and making the change online. Social Security Customer Help indicates that it prefers that you contact Social Security.Close your bank account previously tied to direct deposit only after a Social Security or SSI check has arrived in the new bank account. It often takes 60 days to make the change, and you need to keep both accounts open until you are certain your changes are completed.

• http://www.ehow.com/how_6976128_change-social-security-direct-deposit.html
    KUMI95 :

If satisfied with our service please press the accept button so we can receive credit