How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JudgeLaw Your Own Question
JudgeLaw, Tax Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 34081
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
JudgeLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you apply for Social Security if you owe back taxes

Resolved Question:

Can you apply for Social Security if you owe back taxes?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  JudgeLaw replied 6 years ago.
Section 6334 (c) of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6334 (c)) allows benefits to be levied to collect unpaid Federal taxes and The Tax Payer Relief Act of 1997 (Public Law 105-34) authorizes the Internal Revenue Service to collect overdue federal tax debts of beneficiaries by levying up to 15 percent of each monthly payment until the debt is paid.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand your answer but my question was "can you sign up for SSI when you haven't yet filed your back taxes?
Expert:  JudgeLaw replied 6 years ago.
You can apply.
JudgeLaw and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you