Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

I received a replacement iphone for the one that my son

Customer Question
I received a replacement...

I received a replacement iphone for the one that my son lost. He entered his old p/word on this new phone and sim card several times which I believe has led to there being a lock on the phone. In short,therefore, we can't get the service going. what to do to reset this guy?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Not able to right now on this new phone.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Smartphones
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Technician: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 3 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

What does the iPhone currently say if you turn it on?

First the screen is very faded which doesn't seem right. It requests entry of a four digit p/w which hasn't been set up. Catch 22.

Ok and what is the model of this iPhone?

iphone 6

Thanks. Did the iPhone come out of the box asking for this passcode?

I don't know. My son got to this first and he doesn't remember. What he may have done wrong is use his 'previous' p/word on this phone which would be loaded with a new sim card requiring its own p/word, if you follow me. By using an incorrect p/w repeatedly I suspect that he was blocked from further activation and use.

If it's asking for a 3 digit passcode then that would not be tied to the SIM card. However, if one was entered duding set up and then forgotten it, the iPhone will have to be reset to regain access.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove the passcode, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

1) Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > “App Store” ( or Software Update for older OS X releases) > "Check now" to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

2) Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it (using the charging cable that came with it from Apple)

3) Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

4) Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

5) Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

6) iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.