Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

I have a iphone 5 which I am in the process of selling

I have a iphone...

I have a iphone 5 which I am in the process of selling (replaced it with a iphone 6S). In preparation for the sale, I factory reset the device. It now ask for a password ***** don't recall using a password. How do i resolve?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I recently changed my Apple ID password

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Do you mean the iphone 5?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't have the iphone 5 device now - had sent it to a prospective buyer. Must I wait to get it back in my hand?

3/9/2018
Samuel White
Samuel White, Tech Expert

Is it asking for an Apple ID and password?

It starts up asking for language, then displays keyboard asking for password

You must have had your Apple ID on the other phone at the time of the reset. So your phone is still secure on your account only. You would either have to get the phone back and enter your iTunes password ***** give that to the other party. If you had find my iPhone set up there may be an easier option.

I am being overcome by Apple IDs and passwords
Currently I have an Apple ID and password ***** an Apple phone ID and password; but don't have an itunes ID and password
Help me sort through this

You should only have one which you would use for all of them. You should not be making a new one for each feature of Apple. The selling point to Apple is access and security to all your information across all your Apple devices with one login.

Every time you create a new one you are setting up a new Apple profile and set of security for that device.

How do I boil things down to one ID and password?
The full answer to that is very technical and complicated for most people. But to give you a brief overview basically what you would have to do is go into each device and remove the username from that device deleting it's connection with that iTunes profile. In order to do that you will not only need the user ID that device is connected with but also the password. Once removed you have the ability to either sell that to someone because it's free from your profile or you can enter in the iTunes profile information that you would like to use across all of your devices going forward. The downside to all this is every time you set up a profile whatever you have backed up to that profile is only accessible under that profile. For instance if you had an iPhone and iPad both logged in under separate profiles your music pictures contacts etcetera that are saved on the iPad would differ from the one saved on your phone. When you switched to one Consolidated profile you would only get the contacts pictures and excetera associated with that profile that you chose to use going forward.
it is a lot of technical. My situation is that I am using an iphone 6S and am satisfied. Also I have an iphone 5 which I no longer use and want to sell it because it is a good phone. Is there a reasonable way to make it saleable?

Do you know the Apple ID of the old one?

I have an Apple ID of ****************** and an Apple phone ID of **************

Which is on the old phone?

I assume ******************

Do you recall the password ***** that account?

I believe ******************

Please be sure not to give out your personal information like passwords as this page is viewable by others.

That opened me to icloud

If you click on devices do you see your old phone listed?

I don't understand your question

With in icloud you can see all of the devices under that log in.

If you no longer have the iOS device, Apple Watch, or Mac because you gave it away or sold it, you need to remotely erase it before you can remove it.

Click All Devices, then select the device you want to erase. This will remove the ID from the phone you sold.

Under My Devices, only my iphone 6 plus is shown

Then the password ***** ***** one you set. You need to find out what the password ***** says if it is asking for Apple ID and password ***** would normally show up here also. If it is asking for a PIN/passcode another reset should fix it.

I'll try that when I get the device back; however how can I reset when I can't get past the keyboard?

You have to hook it to iTunes and restore it

Erase your device with recovery mode to remove your passcode

If you've never synced with iTunes, you'll need to use recovery mode to restore your device. This will erase the device and its passcode.

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it by pressing and holding both the Home (circle) and the Top (or side) power buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
Samuel White
Samuel White, Tech Expert
I'll try that when I get the device back. Thanks for your help