Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

Bluetooth sound not working. Device is connected but can't…

Bluetooth sound not working...

Bluetooth sound not working. Device is connected but can't hear or be heard. Could be related to IOS update or possibly I replaced battery a few days ago?

Technician's Assistant: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your Apple device?

Havent; synced it. Backed up to Itunes before playing with the battery. could be an old itunes version. I'll check

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reboot?

Did a reset settings on the phone and it didn't help

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I thought I was on phone support>? not Mac?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm looking for support for an iphone 5s, not a mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Samuel White
Samuel White, Tech Expert

I am Samuel and I can help. I would first try and forget or delete the pairing between the phone and device and then reconnect.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the response.I did that. Made no difference.This problem is happening with a Plantronics M55 and also with a car bluetooth, so pretty sure it cannot be the bluetooth devices.If I'm on the Plantronics, I'll hear a beep when calling. But when the call connects don;t hear anything and the other party can't hear me. It plays music or other audio fine - appears to only be related to calls.I also did a 'restore all settings' to factory, then removed and reinstalled the Plantronics - made no difference.As I said before, I had replaced the battery in this phone a few days ago and that timing is suspicious. But it could also be related to the last IOS update done automatically.Thanks
Steve
Steven I would agree that the timing is a little bit suspicious. I do however have to note that many people on this forum and personal clients of mine have experienced Bluetooth connection issues post the last update. When I contacted Apple they told me that they have received many complaints about it and they're looking to fix the issue. They also noted that in many cases it's the age of the Bluetooth devices that is causing the problem. I cannot confirm or deny that claim.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when two devices (the car and the headset) fail at the same time, it really can;t be the devices.so its really not clear if I have a problem or if Apple has one?

If both are not working it points to Apples update not the devices as much.

Rating me is important because it opens me to help others and also lets the company see that I am working with each customer. Please take just a moment to rate me… it helps greatly!

Harry, IT

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
problem still exists.I;ve tried three different bluetooth devices (two plantronics different model headsets and a car bluetooth). All will play music or other audio but not audio from calls. The call just disconnects and I cannot hear or be heard.As I mentioned before, this happened around (can't be sure of exact timing) of most recent automatic IOS update (i'm still using a iphone 5s) and I also recently had the battery replaced - but all seems to be working so can;t see that being the problem.Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated,.
Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

It is likely the iOS update that caused the issue. Have you checked to see if there is another update available?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought all the updates were done automatically overnight when connected to power. if there is a way to update patches or other fixes, please let me know how and I'll try it itThanks

Go into Settings then General then Software Update

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it says its up to date. So it could still be an IOS problem but not yet corrected? Is there any way to know that or is there anything listing known issues?

Unfortunately, there isn't a known list of the issues but they do issue updates rather fast (1-2 times a month)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I'll keep a look out.

You're welcome -- I apologize that I had to deliver the bad news to you. Please understand that we do not like to deliver bad news because our rating on the site is based on the feedback of our customers so bad news situations are difficult to deal with. Thankfully, a large majority of our customers are understanding that we are just messengers in the situation and do not take it out on the rating system.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Harry, IT
Harry, IT