Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

I got a refurbished iPhone SE 2 probs: 1) When I have the…

I got a refurbished iPhone...
I got a refurbished iPhone SE2 probs:1) When I have the phone against my ear it presses the pause button2) I had it in my pocket, then took it out & for 15 minutes it changed from app to app put random characters into the apps. It would respond to pressing home then continue going from app to app. Tried to turn it off but the slide button would NOT work. It finally stoppedAny ideas?
1/20/2018
Samuel White
Samuel White, Tech Expert

I am Samuel and I will help you. I would say number one it is not great refurbished device if the main power button is not working. The issue I believe that is causing your problems is that it seems like the screen was replaced at some point. If it is set or seated incorrectly you will see things like screen jumping, ghost buttons pushes etc...

I have been using the phone for 3 weeks with only 1 problem until today. That problem is when I talk on the phone & it is against my ear kit pushes the mute button

That sounds like the screen is coming on while you are speaking on the phone which it should not. A sensor detects your face and blacks out the screen. A soft restart may help but you can not perform that with a broken power button. The other possibility could be screen placement related causing the sensor to not detect your face or ghost buttons causing the screen to wake up mid-call.

Everything is working fine now. That problem only lasted 15 mom.

Awesome! Hopefully, I was helpful with your question Stephen!

Sorry I said that wrong.The face sensor problem still exists
Is there any settings that can cause the face sensor to NOT work?

There is not a setting that you can toggle that would cause it to work or not work. You can try going to setting/general/ reset/ reset network settings. This will reset your device without erasing anything and that may help if it is a software issue.

I’ll try that.Let’s talk about the problem of it randomly opening apps, typing in letters.Can that be caused by having it in my pocket & the proximity sensor NOT working?

Yes, it can but it would only do so when in your pocket. If it is happening out of your pocket it is a different issue.

If that could randomly happen again I need to replace the phone…

I am guessing there is an that would need to be repaired or was not repaired completely before you bought it. You could chalk this issue to a one time issue and keep using it. Hoping all is well. If you can try returning it that would be a reasonable idea. You should not be having issues 3 weeks out.

Samuel White
Samuel White, Tech Expert