Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

My son bought an iphone se on tmobile network from someone.

Customer Question
It has no sim card...
My son bought an iphone se on tmobile network from someone. It has no sim card, so we can not get to the home screen. He had planned to use it as an ipod and then unlock it to put it on our verizon network. However, with no sim card this is not possible. What do we need to do in order to get it working as an ipod or get it unlocked and on the verizon network. We called tmobile to unlock it, but they said they need the original owner to call, then they said they needed the previous phone number then they said we need to have tmobile service for 40 days. Please help!!! Thanks
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Smartphones
1/8/2018
Technician: Samuel White, Tech Expert replied 6 months ago
Samuel White
Samuel White, Tech Expert

I am Samuel and I can help. Your iphone needs a sim to bypass the screen that blocks it from working. Tmobile has very specific guidelines to allowing someone to unlock a device:

Device eligibility is determined as follows:

• The device must be a T-Mobile device.
  • The device must not be reported to T-Mobile as lost, stolen, or blocked.
  • The account associated with the device must not be canceled, and be in good standing.
  • You have requested no more than two mobile device unlock codes per line of service in the last 12 months.
  • The device must satisfy all the Postpaid or Pay in Advance (Prepaid) Unlocking terms outlined below.
  • T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.
what should we do?

If you need it unlocked you either need to contact the previous owner and have them do it or activate it for the timeframe Tmobile asks. You can also purchase a Tmobile sim.

Tmobile is pretty strict when it comes to unlocking devices.

What about codes they sell online?

I would not advise that. There is no way of telling that they are correct and they violate Tmobile policy.