Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

I locked my SIM on my new iPhone 7 Plus, when trying to dial…

Customer Question
I locked my SIM...

I locked my SIM on my new iPhone 7 Plus, when trying to dial the phone it comes up with the message: SIM Locked, then comes up with a message, "contact carrier to unlock PUK? I can't use the phone now?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Today

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Yes, it tells me to contact carrier to unlock PUK? which I guess unlocks the SIM?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Smartphones
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Technician: Kraig, Computer Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
Kraig
Kraig, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, I am JA Engineer. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you with an answer ASAP.

Because you entered your PIN incorrectly more than the set number of times, you are being asked for a PUK code. PUK stands for Personal Unlocking Key, which is used to reset your PIN in the event it is lost or forgotten. Usually, when you get a SIM Card from a phone company, it comes with a piece of paper that has the PUK codes for that SIM Card. In addition, some boxes that the phones come in have the PUK codes on the side of the box, along with other information like the IMEI number, phone number, serial number, etc.

If you still have the box that your iPhone came in, check the side of the box to see if the PUK codes are there. There are normally at least two PUK codes, namely PUK1 and PUK2. Use the PUK1 code first to unlock the iPhone.

If the numbers are not on the side of the box that the iPhone came in, check the paper that came with the phone that also has information like the IMEI number, phone number, serial number, etc., provided that you received it when you got your phone.

If you have neither the paper nor the info on the side of your iPhone box, then you will have to contact your cell phone service provider so that they can provide you with the PUK code for your iPhone.