Smartphones

Smartphone Questions? Ask A Smartphone Technician for Answers

Smartphones

OK, 2 days ago we switched to ATT from Verizon. It was part…

Customer Question
OK, 2 days ago...

OK, 2 days ago we switched to ATT from Verizon. It was part of a plan that included DirectTV now. After the switch, we were told by the gal that my wife's Samsung wouldn't work on ATT so she sold her another phone. (OUCH!) Now my phone is not working! When I called her she said it is a Verizon phone, so I also need a new phone because it cannot use ATT signals. I get a different answer from other folks. What's the truth, because I believe we should have been told this right up front.

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your phone?

Hah,.....I'm 73, so where would I look for the WiFi list? I do see that it says ATT at the top left of my screen.

Technician's Assistant: Are other devices (computer, tablet, etc.) connecting to the router?

Yes, no problem with my laptop

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

NO....and bless you if you can get this done!

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Smartphones
12/14/2017
Technician: Michael T,
 replied 2 months ago
Michael T

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your issue today. YES if the phone was with verizon then it will be programmed for that carrier only. Having said that, you can walk into an At&t store and they can unlock the phone so it can be used with them. Its usually a free service. They basically need to use a chip or device depending on the service center to unlock it for you to enable use and is usually a painless process. It is possible with certain models of phone to call customer service and tell them you need a phone to be unlocked for use with at&t. Does that all make sense?

Thanks Mike

It makes sense, I guess I will need to find another ATT store or rep in the store. My wife's phone which she rarely uses was a galaxy s3, and she sold her a new phone saying it wouldn't work either. Can that also be unlocked and made to work?
Technician: Michael T,
 replied 2 months ago

Honestly my experiences with reps in store have been terrible as it FEELS like they have very little training and its often a struggle to get anything done, I would be more leaned towards calling there customer service and speak to tech support. New phones CAN be unlocked, but they must be unlocked with the original service provider first THEN taken to be re Simmed if you will

Technician: Michael T,
 replied 2 months ago

I personally like to buy unlocked phones none network specific which can avoid any issues in the future and that way I can pick and choose my provider without issue.

Technician: Michael T,
 replied 2 months ago

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Any bonuses are very much appreciated. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know and ill be more than happy to help you more further.

Michael T
Michael T
Michael T