Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

Do have an Iphone 6 which is not in service I wanted to open…

Customer Question
Hey I do have...

Hey I do have an Iphone 6 which is not in service I wanted to open it to delet my data but forgot my passcode what I can do to open that?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

2 months go I have upgraded my ATT plan to Iphone 8 , right now I am using Iphone 8 but wanted to delet old device data.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I just want to delete my old device data and I could not remember it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Smartphones
12/11/2017
Technician: Ashik, Smartphone Tech replied 7 months ago
Ashik, Smartphone Tech

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

If you are not going to use the iPhone, then just enter some incorrect passcodes and it will disable itself. Then no one will be able to access your data as the only way to get it working again is by erasing it from the computer.

If you would like to erase the iPhone, then you can do it from iCloud or force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allows you to bypass the passcode/disabled screen and get it restored)

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First, download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time for 8 seconds.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button but continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes into DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with a spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.