Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

My iPhone has had the "iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes"

Customer Question
Hi my iPhone has...

Hi my iPhone has had the "iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes" message for the past two days. When I plug my phone into iTunes it says, "Do you want to allow this computer to access information on this iPhone?" I then click yes and it brings up a little window with a blue loading bar that says, "To allow access, please respond on your iPhone." The iPhone screen just shows the "iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes". Now if I tap on my phone screen while the message that says "please respond on your iPhone" is up on my computer it stays there, so I can tell that it is reading my input on my phone, I just have no where to put in my code or anything like that. If I stop tapping on the screen a message comes up on my computer saying,"iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing." I have been in contact with apple support all day today and nothing has worked. I have put my phone into recovery mode. I have attempted various things that they told me to try and I get the same responses on my phone every time. I could just reset my phone and hopefully solve the problem however I haven't backed up my phone for a year like an absolute idiot. If I reset my phone and lose everything I will lose weeks worth of projects that I can't recover, incredibly important voicemails, messages, and contacts. As well as around 800 photos that would kill me if I lost. I need a way to back it up from the disabled screen, possibly from some third party application or something, or best case scenario, someway to get past this disable!

Technician's Assistant: When were you last able to use your phone?

Tuesday afternoon

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Factory Reset? The Smartphone Expert can walk you through this to ensure you don't lose your photos, contacts and other data.

I have not tried that

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

No thats everything!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Smartphones
11/30/2017
Technician: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 6 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

Was the iPhone disabled from the passcode being entered too many times?

the screen had been cracked and was pressing the code in over and over.
I was told I could factory reset and still save all of my data. Is this possible. I don't see how it would be, but that is what I was told by someone on this site

No, I'm sorry that's not quite accurate. Once the iPhone has been disabled it must be restored. Personal data can be recovered ONLY if you have a backup of some kind - this can be with iTunes OR iCloud. Sadly, there's no way around this once the iPhone has been disabled due to security reasons that come into play.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove any passcodes, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > “App Store” ( or Software Update for older OS X releases) > "Check now" to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

-> Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

-> Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

-> Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds (IF YOU HAVE AN IPHONE 7 or later: Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the volume down button (on the left) for 10 seconds instead)

-> Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home or volume button, until...

-> iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

If you still have concerns, don’t negatively rate my answer, just reply back and let me know. I'll be happy to advise you further. When finished, please give a positive rating so I can be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

Unfortunately that is the reason that I paid for your response. I will not rate you poorly but I do need a refund because I was told I could do something that I could not do.Is there any third party software that can backup my phone in this state? I seriously need the data on my phone. I know I am an idiot for not backing up my phone but I NEED the data that is on there.
I don't blame you in any way, I blame the person in the chat that directed me to you. So I'm really sorry about that.

I have not tried that

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?"

Ok, I see what you are referring to and that's actually an automated system that, while not technically wrong, shouldn't be stating that in the way that it does.

Did you not have iCloud enabled on this iPhone?

I did, for some reason it was saying that it was full but now that I'm looking at it online it says I had 2 GBs left but for some reason none of my recent data was ever uploaded.

Are you signing into the iCloud website to view this information?

I am

Ok, if you click on Settings on the site, does it show any space being used for back ups?

Yeah it says I've used 3.3 GBs out of my 5.
But when I view the photos that have been backed up, all of my photos from the past year are not there.

Ok, if it shows space labeled as backup then it sounds like at least *something* exists online. Do you have any other Apple devices? If so we might be able to tell the date of the last backup.

I do, I am on my MacBook at the moment. And unfortunately a couple things from the past year are very important so if I lose those that is going to be very bad. That's why I'm so frustrated.
Oh I am mistaken. It just says storage. Nowhere does it say backup.

Ok, on your Mac try this;

open System Preferences via the Apple menu

Choose iCloud in System Preferences

You should see a bar toward the lower right of the screen showing space used, with a button labeled "Manage..." next to it. Click the button.

In the pane the drops down, look for "Backups" in the left column and select it.

On the right side, it should list any iPhone backups with a date of the backup. Is there one and is it recent?

​John

Nope there is none. Im screwed haha.

Oh that's very unfortunate. ...and I really don't want to mislead you or sugar coat it either because once the iPhone is disabled there is not much that can be done. The passcode essentially serves as an encryption key for the storage on your phone.

:-(