Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

I JUST RESET MY IPHONE 5S AND WHEN I TRY TO SET IT UP, IT…

Customer Question
HI.. I JUST RESET...

HI.. I JUST RESET MY IPHONE 5S AND WHEN I TRY TO SET IT UP, IT FAILS TO ACTIVATE.. THE MESSAGE THAT SHOWS UP ON MY SCREEN IS "YOUR IPHONE COULD NOT BE ACTIVATED BECAUSE THE ACTIVATION SERVER CANNOT BE REACHED".. NOT SURE WHAT ELSE I AM SUPPOSED TO DO..

Technician's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

VIRGINIA

Technician's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO.. THIS IS A PHONE I'VE BEEN USING ALREADY.. I JUST DECIDED TO GIVE IT OUT TO MY LIL NIECE SO IN ORDER NOT TO WASTE TIME DELETING MY PHOTOS AND EVERYTHING ONE BY ONE, I DECIDED TO RESET IT BY ERASING ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS..

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NOT THAT'S ALL..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Smartphones
11/30/2017
Technician: ElectronicsPete, Engineer replied 4 months ago
ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The two major causes of this are:

1. Network related - change the network used to connect
  2. iOS related - something is amiss with the code signing / provisioning

To fix this,

1. Hold the Power and Home buttons until the phone reboots and you see the Apple logo.
  2. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
  3. Release the Home button when you see the iTunes logo and the connector below it.

Do this while connected to iTunes. Click Restore.

It is a large update and will take a while. Apple servers are currently getting slammed quite hard, so be patient :)

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Engineer