Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

My iPhone 6 keeps telling me I am running out of storage and…

My iPhone 6 keeps telling...
My iPhone 6 keeps telling me I am running out of storage and won't let me record video. How do I clear the memory, etc?
10/16/2017
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Hi Rebecca. Sorry that you are facing this problem.

Seems that your iPhone storage is full and you have to delete some files.

Like photos or some lengthy videos.

So please go to Settings>iPhone Storage

And check how much storage is left

85.26 GB

What is the total storage?

200 gb

Alright, Please once reboot your phone for me.

Please turn it off and turn it back on.

ok done

Okay,now we are going to optimize the RAM on your phone.

Press the power button until you see the slide to power off option at the top
Instead of clicking on slide to power off

Press and hold the Home button for like 15 seconds.

That should optimize your RAM

Let me know if you have done this.

done

Now please check if you are able to record the video?

also I was giving u icloud storage info by mistake
my storage info is:
Used 58.33 GB
Available 465.6 MB
I am able to record video but how do I delete all this stuff off my phone that is taking up storage? Do I have to do it manually (each recording etc)?

Oh alright Rebecca!

If you are still not able to record a video, we may have to delete some applications that you no longer use that are taking up the space

Along with some lengthier videos and pictures.

Delete unused apps

Go through every single app that you have downloaded. See if there are any apps that you no longer need or no longer use. If you find any lurking on your home screen, delete them now.

Go to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage > tap and delete any unwanted apps

k thank you!

Let me know when you have done that please

i deleted a bunch of apps my storage is now
53.15 gb used
5.65 gb available

Now please try to record a video and check if you are able to record one?

able to record

That's great let me provide you some suggestions to avoid this problem in future, please hold.

Is everything i have recorded, etc backed to icloud? How do I check? How do I back everything up before I delete it all?

Please open your iCloud account on your computer.

Because your phone will also show you the contents in it.

SO double check we have to check on your computer whether if that's uploaded on your iCloud.

Do you have a computer with you right now?

Please go login into your iCloud account on your computer.

It may ask you to install the iCloud app in your computer,Please do install it and let me know.

How do I open the icloud acct on my computer?

What computer do you have,Rebecca?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Alright, try to open safari and search for iCloud login.

The page would come up and there please try to login using your iCloud account information please.

ok done I see all my photos!

That's awesome,which confirms your iCloud is working properly.

Is there anything else I could help you with today Rebecca?

Suhasini Velu
I think I can figure it out from here. Thank you for your speedy & helpful responses!

And thank you for choosing just answer. You are always welcome for your follow up questions.

You can also directly write back to me
https://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-suhasini/

Please rate me above since your issues and queries has been resolved.

I wish you have an awesome day ahead!