Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

I have a blackberry classic and I am trying to perform a…

Customer Question
I have a blackberry...

I have a blackberry classic and I am trying to perform a back up. my windows 10 laptop is not seeing the phone. I have disables the firewalls and reconnected with 3 different blackberry usb cables.

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

Maybe 2 years old. but was not being used. just started using it about 2 months ago and have not been able to back up at all

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Have never been able to perform back up. I have made sure that the phone is on the same network as my laptop, disabled firewalls on laptop, made sure laptop (Blackberry link) and phone are signed on with same bbid, tried three different usb cords (all blackberry)

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Smartphones
10/4/2017
Technician: Jason Jones, Technician replied 8 months ago
Jason Jones, Technician

I am sorry to hear about your problem. My name is ***** *****, I am a Tech Expert with over 20 years of experience and look forward to helping you today.

Please, note that you can click Reply to Expert to reply to me. A rating is only needed when we are finished.

Which type of system are you using to attempt to make the backup?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

Not sure which you mean..
The phone is a Blackberry classic. The laptop is Windows 10. The program is Blackberry Link.
Additional information: I have two laptops that I was trying this on in case there was an issue with the first one.
Laptop 1: tried to perform back up and received communication error, laptop was not "seeing" the phone. tried again, laptop finally saw the phone and gave me the option to perform a back up. Click back up and after a few min, received the message that the back us failed check to see if phone is powered on and connected to system. Uninstalled Link and reinstalled, same problems
Laptop 2: (also windows 10) Couldn't see the phone. uninstalled link and re installed, computer finally saw the phone. attempted back up and received same error as on first laptop. However, when I clicked on an option to "Show activity" saw the following (not exactly in these words) 1-could not connect wirelessly, 2 back up failed, 3 back up failed. Why wirelessly if I was hooked up with a usb.
I tried three different usb cords, all blackberry.
After uninstalling Link, I restarted the laptops.
I rebooted the phone

Thank you for the update. May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

It is my husbands phone and he is currently at work. Won't be home until around 6:30 pm (eastern standard time).
So I guess not. Any other suggestions?
I should also tell you that I disabled all the firewalls in case that was causing communication issues

Firewalls will not have any effect on this particular problem. The problem is a software issue. Do you wish to continue when you have access to the phone, later today or another day?

We can give it a shot later. I'll reach out to you when I have the phone in my possession. (probably after dinner). If you are ot avail, I understand.

Thank you.

I am available from 6am to 6pm (PST) every day. Sometimes, I am here later. If you want to schedule a specific time, I can do that too.

I never know when things settle down around here. lol.
I'll reach out to you, if you are in, then great. If not, then I will try the next evening.

Thank you.