Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

My iPhone, unlike my iPad or iMac does not give me a choice…

Customer Question
My iPhone, unlike my...

My iPhone, unlike my iPad or iMac does not give me a choice about upgrade. It uploaded software update 11.0.1 yesterday but told me I had to enter a password ***** I did]t even know existed, much less a 6-digit passcode number. Apple store says they don't have an appointment free until next Wednesday. Thy told me to go to apple.com to wipe my phone and resent with my iMac. I tried that and it didn't work. Apple.com has given me 3-4 options, non of which world. I'm now locked out altogether.

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

Six

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Been going on since yesterday. I've not had this happen in other updates. I've done everything on Apple.com and none of the options I've tried have worked

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No, just forward this chat to him/her

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Smartphones
9/30/2017
Technician: Ashik, Smartphone Tech replied 10 months ago
Ashik, Smartphone Tech

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Which model of iPhone is this ?

Six

After update, it usually ask you to set up the passcode (if you haven't setup it before). It is possible that you inadvertently setup it. Since you are locked out, your only option is erase the iPhone from iCloud or force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode/disabled screen and get it restored)

But if you had backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

Connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time for 8 seconds.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I got the phone working again but after syncing to my computer photos and music have not reappeared..

Did you backup the iPhone to the computer prior to this issue ?

If you had backed up the iPhone prior to this issue, then in iTunes, select your iPhone and click Restore Backup. Choose the most recent backup point of this iPhone. If you had the backup in iCloud, then you can erase the iPhone from Settings >General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings and then choose Restore from iCloud Backup while setting it up.

To sync music from iTunes on computer, click on Music in left side in iTunes (after selecting iPhone). Click "Sync Music" option and click Apply or Sync button (this will work only if you are not using iCloud Music)

Let me know how it goes please