Smartphones

Smartphone questions? Ask a smartphone technician for answers

I got a new iPhone SE online from Apple and was unable to…

I got a new iPhone...
I got a new iPhone SE online from Apple and was unable to transfer my contacts so I took it into the AT&T store and said I want the contacts transferred from my old iPhone to the new one and he had a lot of trouble doing it and chided me because I should have bought it according to him in the AT&T store and not from Apple. So when I got home I realized that when I was out and about in the upper left-hand corner where it used to say 3G or 4G it now said nothing and I couldn't access the Internet at all. Before when I wasn't near wi-Fi I could use 3G or 4G on a limited amount depending on my plan. So I called another AT&T store and told them that they were able to transfer the information and mentioned a Sim card but seem to have a lot of difficulty and asking me for my password ***** my Apple account. This AT&T store today told me that I might need a new Sim card and to take it back to the AT&T store and if that doesn't work I'll have to go to the Apple Store which is almost an hour away. My Apple phone was fine until I took it to the AT&T store to get something so simple done and I think they screwed it up and so I'm wondering if you could advise me what to do?Also on my new phone I don't get my voice messages until I switch on cellular data and then all the voice messages from the previous day , Because I keep the cellular data button in the off position, they all download and I see all the voice messages I missed.
9/21/2017
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

If you are not seeing 3G or 4G then there is an issue with your phone/account where the cellular service is not active.

This type of issue should be able to be fixed by AT&T since it is likely an account issue or SIM card issue and they can fix that for you.

OK why did the phone work perfectly well since I got it new from Apple and then when I took it to the AT&T store for them to transfer my contacts from the old and the new… THEN it didn't work. Please give me a few examples of what they could've screwed up!

They could have never activated the new phone.

They could have never inserted an active SIM card.

You mean AT&T might've never activated it? How would they know something like this?
Why wouldn't Apple send me a Phone with an active Sim card? Please forgive me for being confused but I never took computers and I only really know how to surf the Internet, ha ha ! And if you can send me a link so I can understand the stuff better that would also help !
Oh one more thing, what is the incidence of AT&Tstaff screwing up people's phones?

It could have just been an honest mistake by someone at the store.

In order to tell the exact issue, they will need to look at the phone and your account to see why it is not working properly (Unfortunately, I do not have access to that information)

A link to what exactly? The iOS user guide?

I'm so confused. Can you please go through each question and answer each one specifically and maybe that'll help me. And by the way, it seems like every time I buy anything I have to take it back and get something fixed so I doubt it was an honest mistake because if that's the case then every time I buy something it's an honest mistake. I think it's just my bad luck or dumb luck , ha ha....

I am not sure what you mean -- I cannot answer each question because I am not sure of the exact issue with your phone (it could be your account activation, it could be a SIM card issue)

Why wouldn't Apple have sent me a Phone with an active Sim card ?
Isn't it like sending somebodyaway from your deli with a ham and cheese sandwich with only the bread and no ham and cheese?

The phone needs to be activated on your account when you receive it from Apple

that's something that has to be done in store correct ? And you're saying it's possible the AT&T guy never activated it correct ? I just want to know what to say when I go back in there tomorrow .In other words I need to go in there and say "please activate this phone on my account "

You can go in and say:

"My phone is not showing the 3G/4G icon in the upper left hand corner and I believe either the phone is not activated properly or the SIM card is not active. Can you check my account/phone to see why I cannot receive a cellular signal"

Great Josh thank you that really does help! One final issue I have is even though I have it on never to lock it constantly after a few seconds goes to screensaver and I have to put my code back in and I do not want that so how can I fix it?
Do you mean that you wish to remove the pin code or passcode lock?
for 15 minutes!

From the home screen, select Settings then Touch ID & Passcode then Turn Passcode Off

Under which setting is passcode, may I ask?

When I touch ID no passcode is shown.....I see password ***** security....

You may have an older version of iOS -- Go under Password ***** Security

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Josh, Technician