Dan T.
Dan T., Master Tech
Experience:  Over 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting & repair.
42300671

I have scratches on my iPhone, how can I get rid of them?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Dan T. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help with your iPhone.

What model iPhone is this? Also, can you describe the scratches for me? Are they surface level scratches from bumping around in a backpack, or deeper scratches from being dropped?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Dan, it is iPhone 7 with surface level scratches from bumping around in a bag...
Expert:  Dan T. replied 1 month ago.

OK, no problem. There are a couple different options we have.

First, and this might sound silly because the screen is already scratched, but you should consider a tempered glass screen protector. Not only will it protect your screen from future scratches, but they typically make small surface scratches much less visible... so it's a win-win. I like the InvisibleShield from Zagg (link). This is what I would do, if I was in your shoes.

Another option is to use a cerium oxide glass polish. Don't use baking soda or toothpaste like you might see on the Internet forums. Those options are much better suited to plastic screens and not the iPhone's glass. Cerium oxide is cheap and comes premixed as "glass polish" at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. There are a ton of YouTube videos showing how to use it (link). It's really quite easy.

Last, and this is pretty extreme and not recommended for small scratches, but you could also replace the screen in its entirety. The screen kit is $110 from iCracked (link). That kit comes with instructions, tools, and links to really helpful videos on the replacement. It's a pain in the butt, and like I said it's a bit extreme here, but I wanted you to have all the options.

I hope that answers your question. If I can do anything else, just ask. Also, please remember to rate the service you received here. I hope it was excellent!!

Dam