Smartphones

Smartphone Questions? Ask A Smartphone Technician for Answers

Smartphones

IPhone 6s battery ran down and wouldn't charge back. I

Customer Question
iPhone 6s battery ran down...
iPhone 6s battery ran down and wouldn't charge back. I replaced the charge port first, but still wouldn't power on. I then replaced the battery. The phone then powered on but wouldn't charge. The lighting bolt indicator does not appear. The phone restarts when I unplug the charge cable. What is the problem?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Smartphones
7/22/2017
Technician: Josh, Technician replied 4 months ago
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please plug in your iPhone and while it is plugged in..

Please press and hold down the POWER and HOME buttons together on your iPhone until you see the Apple icon. After you see the icon, release the buttons and the iPhone will restart.

Does it work now?

I found a cheap charger that will charge it. The Apple chargers wont. It's charging now, but every time I unplug the lightning end, it restarts. If I unplug the USB end only, it won't restart.

It sounds like the cheap charger is causing the issues with your phone. If Apple chargers are not working then there is an issue with the phone itself.

Have you tried a charger from the Apple store?

I have 4 apple chargers that I've tried. The end is shorter on the Apple charger. The other chargers have a longer end. Maybe the Apple chargers don't go deep enough in the charge port that I replaced. Even with the Apple chargers, the phone restarts every time I unplug the cable. Can the charger port cause this? I just replaced it.

Let's take a step back -- You mentioned that you repaired the charging port? If that is the case then I believe we found the issue.

When I hold down the power and home button, the icon never appears. I tried that earlier also, because that's how I thought a hard restart was done

I replaced it and the battery, the phone overheated last week and overheated the battery and fried the charge port. I replaced both of them.

The charging port is the issue -- Whether it was installed wrong or there could be another internal issue with the phone but it sounds like the charging port is not correct if the original Apple charger does not fit properly in it.

It's installed correct and it's an Apple part. Ive never had this problem from a charge port. The customer says the phone was plugged in the vehicle charging, then when they returned, the charge cable was melted on the end and phone stopped charging. The battery was melted and the charge port had some melted connections. I
I'm going to swap a port from another 6s and try it and I'll let you know in a few minutes.

Okay; thank you.

An Apple cable will charge with new port, the phone still restarts when disconnected.

Unfortunately, it is not charging properly because it is losing the power charge instantly when disconnected so the charging port is not working properly.

I'm using a different charge port from another phone that does work though. It's doing the same thing with 2 different charge ports. I just installed the first charge port in another phone and it works correctly.
If that is the case then there is an issue with the internal board because it is not keeping the charge properly even though it shows as charging
It was the connector where the battery and charge port connect to. I replaced it and everything works fine. It must have had some damage when the phone overheated. It wasn't any visible damage, but it works fine now with all chargers.
Awesome! I am glad to hear you were able to find the issue.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Technician: Josh, Technician replied 3 months ago

Hi!

It has been a while since we have communicated -- The question is still open which means that you may still need help and I have not been credited with helping you.

If you still need help, please reply back here so that I can help you.

If the issue is resolved or you do not need help anymore/would like to close the question, please take a minute and use the star rating at the top of this page to rate our session as 5 stars then press Submit which allows me to receive credit for helping you.

Josh, Technician