Rusty
Rusty, Technician
Experience:  Specialize in Android and iPhones. How may I help you?
63817454

My iphone keeps restarting, it is an iphone 5 quite old must

Customer Question

my iphone keeps restarting
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: it is an iphone 5 quite old must be 3-4 years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i have tried to press home button and off botton same time but its not working itrs been like that for an hour
JA: Anything else you want the smartphone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Do you use iTunes on your computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No i do not use itunes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i am trying to install it though
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i tried removing the simcard but it doesnt help
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i installed itunes
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

I had to step away from the computer for a minute, I'm back. Give me just a minute to give you instructions.

Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.
  1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC. If you can't access a computer and your device still works, you can erase and restore your device without a computer.
  2. Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to your computer with the cable that came with your device.
  3. If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. If you forgot your passcode, get help.
  4. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes. For an unresponsive device or one that won't turn on, learn what to do. Or get help if your device doesn't appear in iTunes.
  5. In the Summary panel, click Restore [device]. Confirm the restore.

This will reload your software to iOS 6. You'll have to set your phone up as a new phone after doing this.

Because it's restarting, your software has gotten corrupt, gets to the corrupt point, then tries to start over in a never ending cycle. Reloading the software should fix the problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i dont know where to find my device in itunes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have connected the iphone with the cable to my pc
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
itunesis open
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

When you plug your phone into your computer's USB, open iTunes. You should see your phone at the top of the window.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i do not see it...
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Give me just a sec, I'll see if I have a picture.

Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Look under the file menu. You should see your devices. One will be music, another for video, and you should see one for your phone next to those. Is it not there?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
going to check now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i only see music, movies, tv shows...
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Ok, unplug your phone, and watch to see if anything changes where you see those items. Then plug your phone back in, see if it recognizes it. We may need to go to control panel and locate the driver.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my iphone apps doesnt show any apps
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nothing changes when i unplug :s
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

The iPhone is designed to work with iTunes. Basically if you don't use iTunes, your phone is not backed up, unless you use the Gmail app. We have to get your phone talking to iTunes.

The first thing to do is switch out the USB cable, and try a different USB port. The phone is supposed to work without installing a driver. This will fix it most of the time. If not:

1) Click Windows Start/Home button

2) Type "devmgmt.msc" at the search (without quotes) textbox. Or go to device manager from control panel Or Right-Click on My Computer>Properties, Choose "Device Manager" from the left pane..

3) Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller".

4) While iphone is connected, click the unknown device.

5) Right click the same and click on Update Driver Software

6) Click the second option "Browse my computer for driver software".

7) Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

8) Click on "Have Disk" button.

9) Browse to the the path "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers"

10) Select "usbaapl.inf"

11) Now select "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under list of hardware model section.

12) It will add "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under "Universal Serial Bus Controller"

13) Restart your computer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when i get to step 3 all i see is:
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
generic usb hub
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Did you switch out the cable and try a different port?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
intel r usb 3.0 extensible host controller
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
intel r usb 3.0 root hub
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
standared enhanced pci to usb host controller
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Did you switch out the cable and use a different port?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
usb composite device
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
usb root hub thats it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i did
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the hone is not responding to my pc :s
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Ok, on step 4, select the USB Composite Device.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok its installing driver software
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
windows has finished installing
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
apple mobile device usb driver
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i need to restart and come back ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

That's what it should look like. Now go to iTunes, and you should see your phone, so we can finish the reset process.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ive just restarted my computer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what do i do now?
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i still do not see my device in itunes...
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Hmm, it should be showing up. Try a different USB port while iTunes is open, and keep an eye on the area where it should show up in case anything changes. The three dots to the right, click that. Does the phone show up there?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
apple mobile device usb driver : This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Ok, does it do that with all of your USB ports? This is starting to look like a hardware problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does that with all 3 ports
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what do i do now?
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Ok, are you able to turn it off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the phoneyou mean? no it keeps restarting over and over and over again
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Let's go through all of the solutions first, but it is definitely looking like there is damage to the phone's hardware. You may need a new phone.

Holding the sleep button, can you ever get it to stop restarting?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no it keeps restarting...
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Ok, the only thing left is to leave it how it is until the battery is completely dead. Plug it into the charger for a few minutes, then hold the home button and power button at the same time for the hard reset.

We have done everything possible. Your computer definitely has the correct driver, but your phone is just not communicating with anything, including itself. Holding both buttons only works when the phone is turned off, so the battery drain trick is your best bet.

If you still cannot get it to work by doing the hard reset, it's time for a new phone. If you take it to the Apple store, they may trade it in for a discount on a new phone. Even though it's broken, it still has value to Apple. It means they get to keep you as a customer. Your cell carrier may also have a similar program, it just depends on the company.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i will let it drain from its energy then and try to hard reset in the morning . I wil keep you informed
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I don't see them get this bad often, I am hoping a dead battery is the answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was drained of energy but immediately afte ri put it on charge it started rebooting and rebooting again...
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Ok, this is the worst case scenario, you will need a new phone. We have gone through every possible thing we can do, including trying to override the software with your computer. It's a hardware failure. There is nothing more that you can do.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi, my phone now doesnt restart all the time again, when i try to start it the apple screen comes up and then it dies again.
It doesn not restart again. It is still not responding to my computer though. Is there something i can still do?
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

That's better, let's continue. Plug in your phone, let it charge for a while. If it doesn't restart continuously, do the two button reset, and tell me if you can get it to go into recovery mode.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the two button reset is not working :(
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Keep it plugged in for 30 minutes. Does the Apple logo come up? The fact that it's acting differently means that there may still be hope. Make sure it's good and charged, and hold the buttons. Hold them for up to 30 seconds, sometimes it can take a bit for the recovery mode to come up.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the double button thing is not working. When i put it on charge the apple logo comes up stays for a very long time then the phone goes back to black screen....very strange
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Does it turn on with just the power button? The apple logo says it's charging. If the battery is good, and it won't start, I'm sticking with the diagnosis of a hardware failure.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it only tries to turn on when i charge it
without plugging it in it does nothing...
Expert:  Rusty replied 11 months ago.

It's time to say it's dead... These things happen. We've done all we could do, it's not likely it will ever work again. Please remember that it has a toxic battery and mercury, please give it to your cellular provider for proper disposal.