Smartphones

Smartphone Questions? Ask A Smartphone Technician for Answers

Smartphones

I think my iPhone was hacked. I am trying to back up

Customer Question
everything now so I can...
i think my iPhone was hacked. I am trying to back up everything now so I can hit factory reset, but if my phone keeps being unresponsive, getting stuck on a screen or program, I guess I can't save all my texts can i?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: i think iPhone 4
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: the home button doesn't seem to be working, only the power button
JA: Anything else you want the smartphone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: how much is this service?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Smartphones
10/24/2016
Technician: Randy, Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Randy
Randy, Customer Service

Hi, I'm Randy. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

Try holding the home button and power button at the same time for 30 seconds or until you see the Apple logo.

Let me know what happens please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
already did that, I was able to get to home screen and open text messages, but I guess I have to do that overtime in order to maneuver between apps/features

okay, do you have a computer with iTunes software installed?

okay, great. You can use your computer to back up and restore the iPhone. Follow these steps please>

• Open iTunes and plug in your iOS device to your computer
  • In the upper-right corner of the iTunes window, you’ll see a button that says iPhone.
  • Click on that button to open another window that provides information about your device.
  • Below the main information is the Backup section. To do an all-out full backup of your iiPhone, select This computer on the left-hand side.
  • Optionally, you can choose Encrypt backup to secure it from others accessing the personal data that gets backed up. Next, click Back Up Now to begin the backup process.
  • When it’s done, just click the blue Done button in the upper-right corner and you’re good to go!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my iCloud storage is full though, is there a way for me to backup contacts and text message without using iCloud
?

yes, the computer will back them up without using iCloud.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see the right hand corner saying anything about phone

okay, it may be an icon near the top center of the iTunes screen just below the menu headings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i don't see that the iTunes is recognizing the hookup to the iPhone, how do i tell for sure? I just switched out the cords to make sure it was working
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see that I Photos recognizes the phone so it must not be the cord
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it finally registered!

okay, sounds good!

let me know if you need any help with the back up.

After the back up is finished select Restore iPhone from the iTunes screen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
after the back up I can do the factory reset ? Is it possible that the hacker disabled my home screen button? Will that work after the factory reset

No, the hacker cant affect the home button. The home button should work normally after the reset, if it doesn't then it is most likely a hardware issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there were some definite signs of a hacker, I had a friend try to FaceTime me (who I never talk to) but she is a high school teacher, and I suspect that one of her students got a hold of her phone and hacked it and possibly hacked my phone through hers? Is that possible? and then after I refused the face time call. the Voice Activation on my phone popped up without my prompt and started going crazy...

the iPhone is very secure. The only way anyone could access the iPhone that way is by having your Apple ID and password. This sounds more like a firmware glitch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just got a message on phone stating " Face time unavailable" so and so is not available for facet time? How do I stop this guy?
so how do I protect against this?

open the Settings application on your iPhone and tap "FaceTime" to check its current settings. Then toggle the button at the top of the screen to "Off"

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to reboot my phone every time in order to get out of where the hacker is, and open settings

did you do the restore option in itunes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just now I had to wait for it. so when it is done, It says iTunes is downloading the newest software and then it will restore

yes, that sounds good. That should correct the issue that you are having.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you saying because my software was old, it was easier to hack? Should I change my apple password?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how did this hacker get a hold of my password? Is it true I have to always keep my bluetooth and wifi turned off if I am not using it?

yes, definitely change the password. That will make the iPhone secure, you can leave the wifi and bluetooth on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My iPhone battery is about to die, if I unplug it from my desktop mac will it continue to download my new software?

the Mac desktop should keep it charged. If you disconnect the download will stop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok it doesn't look like it is charging it, the battery is showing red and it keeps popping up messages saying "this accessory" (the cord I am assuming) "may not work"

okay, you can charge it awhile and then start again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will it save what it has already downloaded? Its saying another 22 min

yes, the back up will save in iTunes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just placed it on the charger and it doesn't seem like it wants to charge (the battery icon) it goes off and on and it does not show the lightning bolt charging What are the odds that the hardware is failing and a hacker is hacking all in the same morning?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its saying "This accessory may not be supported"?!!!!

I know it all sounds very strange, however it sounds more like a hardware/firmware glitch.

Do you have it connected to a wall outlet charger?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just walked around the whole house trying different plugs, and its got to be a short or something in the phone charger jack area. What do I do? just get a new phone?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a firmware glitch can cause the phone to go bizarre and start dialing random people on FaceTime ? and at the same time stop buttons from working and the phone from charging?

yes, that is possible. It is the most likely solution since it is having multiple issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so I guess there is no point in downloading software and restoring the phone then correct? no other choice than get a new phone?

If you can get it to charge then the software will definitely help. However if it does not recognize the charger then the charge port may have failed. Has it been near any moisture or water lately?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe in the past, I can't pinpoint it

okay, it could also be a bad battery. I have seen the batteries going bad and get hot, then swell inside the iPhone and cause similar issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are reading on the internet forums about that "accessory error" message it seems a lot of apple clients are getting it and a lot of frustration...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my husband cleaned out the charge port mouth of the bottom o f the phone with alcohol on a toothbrush and it charges until it is bumped or maybe its just like for 2 minutes and then it stops charging

You may be able to clean it some more to help. It is also good to use canned air to blow the port out after you use the brush and alcohol.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance,

Also, please take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top then click submit.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we ve been researching and trying stuff, do you think its worth simply buying a new battery? If we suspect thats part of it?

The battery repair is usually around $79 unless you do it yourself.

Thank you!

Randy
Randy
Randy, Customer Service