Vinod Menon, Customer Service
Experience:  Experience in supporting and using smartphones.
51110040

HiI have my sons iphone, which I would like to use with my

Customer Question

Hi
I have my sons iphone, which I would like to use with my SIM card. It cant be activated because I don't know his apple account password.
He passed away last year, in April.
I was dealing with the apple support team, but have lost contact with them. I was asked to get the Letters of administration, granting of probate etc, which took a while last year.
Where to I go from here.
Regards
Graeme Tooth
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am very sorry for your loss. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is the model of your son's iphone?
Also, what is your computer operating system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JK
The phone is an A1530
The PC is an LG using Windows 7 Home
Graeme
You can perform a factory reset on the phone, if you do not mind losing whatever personal information your son has stored on it. All personal data would be lost, including contacts and photographs. If you want to do it, you will need to have iTunes for Windows installed on your computer and connect your iPhone to your computer with the usb cable that came with the phone, the one that plugs into the charger.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joel
I have downloaded all of his information, photos etc.
I have itunes and the cable.
If I plug it in will it give some instructions?
Graeme
Graeme,I apologize for the delay. I got tied up with another issue. I did not realize that you could get into the iPhone. So you aren't locked out of the phone, only the Apple account. Apparently, you have transferred all the photos from the iPhone to your pc using the usb cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joel
Yes, sorry. I worked out the passcode ok. It is the Apple Code password ***** activation which I cant find anywhere. I know his email fort he account.
Does this help.
Graeme
No. I think we can finesse the Apple account. Have you established your own account on iTunes yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have an iTunes account
Okay, you can connect the iPhone to your pc with the iTunes open. Then, select your iPhone when it appears in iTunes. The instructions are kind of vague about this. Let me know if you have a problem with it.
At this point, you may be able to backup the iPhone before you restore it. I know that you have already saved the photos. But this would save the contacts too. It would be interesting to see if you can do this on your iTunes account, or if it is expecting his Apple account.
The restore process is a two-part operation. The first part is to restore factory default settings, and the second part is to restore backup data. If you cannot or do not want to do the backup, you can skip the second part of the restore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joel
Sorry. Am away from computer until tomorrow.
Graeme
Copy that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joel
I have backed up his iPhone on iTunes.
When I select the restore iphone, I am asked to turn off Find my iPhone in the iCloud settings, but then it asks for his Apple ID password ***** goes with his Apple ID.
Graeme
Graeme,I apologize for the late hour. I got your communication. Does it ask for his Apple ID and password ***** the first part of the Restore, which restores the factory defaults to the OS, or in the second part, in which you restore the backed up data? Hopefully, it is in the second part, because there must be a way to reset a phone when the Apple ID and PW have been lost or forgotten, or when it changes hands.elJoel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Joel
Sorry, I have my daughter home for a few days, a wedding on Saturday, cemetery duties on Sunday.
If I have pay more to continue next week, please let me know.
Regards
Graeme
We can continue next week. Your question will remain open for one week. There will not be any extra charge, or any charge at all if you are not satisfied with my answer to your question.Have a great weekend!