Smartphones

Smartphone Questions? Ask A Smartphone Technician for Answers

Smartphones

I updated my IPhone and now its asking me password to get

Customer Question
I updated my IPhone and...
I updated my IPhone and now its asking me for a password ***** get into the phone I never set it up that way the IPhone is disabled what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Smartphones
1/24/2016
Technician: Ashik, Smartphone Tech replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Smartphone Tech

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I'm really sorry that your iPhone is disabled. Unfortunately there is NO way to retrieve that passcode or get back to your phone without the passcode (without erasing it). You probably had this passcode setup before. iPhone requires passcode when you restart the phone. Now your only option is force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users.

But if you had backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never backed up my phone what information will I lose I don't have a USB cable

You will lose everything from the iPhone unfortunately. This is how Apple designed it. If you had setup iCloud on it, then you may have the backup made automatically.

You can use the USB cable with your iPhone. It is the cable you use to charge the iPhone. If it is attached to the charger, you can detach the USB end from charger and connect it to your computer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never backedup my phone what information will I lose also I do not have a USB cable

I already answered. Here is it again.

You will lose everything from the iPhone unfortunately. This is how Apple designed it. In face, everything is already lost when it is disabled. If you had setup iCloud on it, then you may have the backup made automatically.

If you have iCloud enabled on it and also if your iPhone is connected to WiFi/internet, then you can do the erase (restore) from iCloud - so you don't have to go through the restore steps.

On your computer, go to www.icloud.com

Login to your iCloud/Apple account. Click Find My iPhone. Select your iPhone under All Devices. Click Erase button and it will be erased (if it is connected to WiFi network).

If that didn't work, then you have to restore it from iTunes application on your computer. Follow the instructions in my previous answer.

Note : If you want, I can remotely connect to your computer and fix your iPhone myself for you while you watch. This is only an optional additional service. You can accept that remote service if you would like me to fix it for you or if you have any difficulty on following the steps above.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You but I will have my daughter follow the directions she is better then me on the computer Thank You

No problem. If you need any help or if you have any difficulty on following the steps, please post a reply in here and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Your only hope is iCloud. If you had it enabled which most people do when they setup iPhone, then you will not lose contacts, emails, calendars, notes etc

If there is backup, then you can restore the photos, videos etc back also. All purchased items can be redownloaded without paying again regardless of backup.

Ashik, Smartphone Tech