Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience:  Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
16433418

I have an iPhone 4s that I can't remember the password

Customer Question

I have an iPhone 4s that I can't remember the password ***** unlock the phone. It is not backed up either. Is there a way to bypass this security code and back up the pictures on there to a computer?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Unfortunately there is NO way to retrieve that passcode/password ***** get back to your phone without the passcode/password (without losing the files). Your only option is force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

After restoring, you will get an option to restore from iCloud backup. So do it. If there was any backup made to iCloud, it will be restored. That is your only option left.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this effect my current back up or iCloud settings from my iPad and iPhone 5s?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

No, this will not affect anything at all. If you sign in to the iCloud account that you use on iPad and iPhone 5S, they will be synced together.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Doing this will not affect the current settings or current backups made to iCloud. iCloud keeps the backup of each device independently.