Smartphones

Smartphone Questions? Ask A Smartphone Technician for Answers

Smartphones

I am a major bonehead 😌 I am having a problem- or problems-

Customer Question
Hi :) I am a...
Hi :) I am a major bonehead 😌 I am having a problem- or problems- with my Apple iTunes account(s). I have had the same one for years and years and never had a problem. However, I recently had to dump my lifelong email address because it was hacked- grrr...😠
So in doing so I wanted to change my Apple ID to the new email addy as well so that I could delete my original email address. I figured that if my Apple ID was associated with my old email then Apple would at some point try to use that address as a contact
for me and it wouldn't be accessible. Wow! I am making this more confusing than it needs to be, aren't I? Lol. Well, now I've been able to change my email address with Apple and it seemed that that changed my Apple ID as well but it apparently is now a separate
Apple ID I think? Does Apple do that? create new Apple ID's? Anyway- now my old Apple ID is still the default and while I continuously change it back to the new address one, it keeps asking me for the password ***** the original one that I don't want to use-
ahhhh! How can I get rid of that original account? And what's the difference between my Apple ID and my iCloud account? Because the iCloud account is still called the original email account's name. Could this be why I'm constantly being asked for the password
for that old email address? I'm so sorry for this being so confusing - I'm pretty confused 😋 Thank you in advance for your answers-
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Smartphones
9/21/2015
Technician: Richard, Smartphone Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Smartphone Specialist

ok, your Apple ID is your iCloud account.

So what you have to do is sign into it and then change the primary email address which sets this

To do this

1. Go to My Apple ID.
  2. Select Manage your Apple ID and sign in.
  3. Select Edit next to Apple ID and Primary Email Address.
  4. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID, then select Save Changes. Apple will send a verification email to that address so you are going to have to be able to sign into it for this one change.
  5. Open the email from Apple, then click Verify Now.
  6. When the My Apple ID page opens, sign in with your new Apple ID email address and password. When you see a message that verification is complete, you can start using your updated Apple ID.

Let me know if you can complete this process please, as I know you had issues with your email account but was not sure if you could not sign in at all to do this.

Please let me know.

Hi Richard :)
Thanks for the answer-
I tried resetting my primary email address associated with my Apple ID with my new email address but it says that I can't use that one because it's associated with another Apple ID- ahhh! It's like it created a new one just for fun! Yikes!

you did create a new one, which has created the issue.

Can you sign into the new one you created?

Yup! I just did :)

ok, you are going to have to change that email address to something else (make a temp email account here)

https://accounts.google.com/signup

Then go into the other account and set the email address.

Wait- change which email to a new one? The one for the new ID I created?

The new one you do not want, you need to change the email address.

So that on the one you DO want you can set the new Email address.

You can only use an email address for ONE Apple ID

Ok- I have to head out the door to an appointment but I'll be back in a little while- this meeting should be boring so I'll just figure this out with you if you're still aroun

I will be, but just change the Email address on this NEW one, so you can set the new email adress on your OLD Apple ID

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Richard, Smartphone Specialist