Smartphones

Smartphone Questions? Ask A Smartphone Technician for Answers

Smartphones

I want to bypass the password XXXXX my daughters phone to view

I want to bypass the...
I want to bypass the password XXXXX my daughter's phone to view text messages. Is there any way to do that?
8/11/2012
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

This is an iPhone, correct? ...and you're talking about the passcode to the phone itself?

Yes...I want to review her text messages...the phone is not active at the moment...I was mad at her and reactivated an older phone of her's, but I have the Iphone....don't know if its a 4 or 5...I know she has Suri on it...so think its a 4...does that sound correct?
is that enough information I gave you?
Thanks. Yes, it sounds like an iPhone 4S.

However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the procedure for clearing the passcode on this iPhone, also, erases personal content off of the iPhone, as well, for security reasons. So, this may not be useful to you (except as a threat that the iPhone may be wiped if she does not provide the passcode?).

Was the iPhone normally synced with iTunes prior to being locked? If so, you may be able to wipe the iPhone and restore a recent backup (You can see if there is one in iTunes > Edit menu > Preferences > Devices)

I will provide the procedure below, just in case:

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch), clear any pass codes, and then re-sync user data once it is done.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

* Open iTunes on your computer

* Connect the iOS device directly to a USB port on the computer

* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control (such as unknown passcodes). If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.
She doesn't use the I-tunes feature....and I don't want to erase everything she has on the phone....and if I'm correct, what your telling me will reset everything...I only want to review her text messages without applying for a suppoena to submit to verizon to do so....is that the case though...that I will erase it all if she hasn't used the I-tunes feature?
Sadly, yes.

The procedure for clearing the passcode returns the iPhone to it's "out of the box" state. So unless it was backed up to either iTunes or, possibly, iCloud then there would be no way to recover that data from the phone. If it were backed up to iCloud, that feature would have its own username and password, as well, though it is recoverable.

Boo.....

that is horrible...(well for me that is)....I'll go the legal route I guess....thanks for the information....guess I still have to pay the full fee....right?

Yes, it's a very strict and limited recovery procedure for this type of situation unfortunately.

I don't have any control over the question prices. I am not an employee of JustAnswer and only earn a portion of the fee when you rate/accept the answer.

Thanks,
John T. F., Mac Druid
John T. F., Mac Druid