Smartphones

Smartphone Questions? Ask A Smartphone Technician for Answers

Smartphones

Help, Ive lost all my contacts on my iphone

Customer Question
Help, I've lost all my...
Help, I've lost all my contacts on my iphone
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Smartphones
5/22/2012
Technician: Randy, Customer Service replied 5 years ago
Randy
Randy, Customer Service
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.
Please try this,
Connect your iPhone to iTunes, then right click on your iPhone in the device list of itunes. From there select restore, choose a restore date from an earlier time when all of your contacts were backed up.
.
.
Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Hi, I've tried that and when I restore it goes back to Factory settings (not a previous date...all my photos, music etc are there except for my phone contacts
I am sorry this is not working, I will open the question so another expert can take a look at it, Thank you for your patience
Technician: Brandon M., Technician replied 5 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Technician
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a third-party paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Did you ever have an email service set up on iPhone? If so, do you remember if the contacts were synced? You may just need to re-add the email account back in and it should add the contacts back onto iPhone.

Let me know.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Hi Brandon, I am receiving all my emails to my inbox on the iPhone from my outlook. However the contacts on my computer in outlook are not the same as I had on my iphone. The contacts that I had on my iphone I thought came from my SIM card..does that make sense? Can I simply remove the SIM then put it back in? Also how do I find how to open the iPhone to do this....
The iPhone doesn't support saving contacts to the SIM card. I actually don't even believe it can read contacts from the SIM card. All contacts are stored on the phone itself and/or stored with an email service if you set up contact syncing.

So, the contacts you are missing are not the ones in Outlook but a completely different set, correct?

Brandon
Yes that's correct...so if they are stored in the phone how do i retrieve them?
thks

Jeanette
If they were stored on the phone and the phone was restored, the contacts are lost. However, you may have a backup in iTunes. Plug the iPhone into iTunes. You should see it on the left. Right-click it on the list on the left and choose Restore from backup (not the button on the right!). See if you have any backups prior to you noticing the names missing.

Let me know.

Best Regards,
Brandon
There is no restore from backup appearing on the left hand side of the page. When I right click I get the main page which shows a summary of the iphone and options to check for updates or restore to original settings
Jeanette

You need to right-click the iPhone listed on the left. A menu will pop up. Restore from backup will be in there.

Best Regards,
Brandon
No there is no restore from back up ...only a list of all my music
You aren't using the right button on your mouse to click the iPhone in the list. Please use the right button.
That's what I am doing....Now it is saying that the "iPhone cannot be synced because the disk cannot be found....I've had the Apple Computer & iPhone for over 12
Sorry but I need to step away for awhile. I will opt out and another expert will be by to take a look at this issue.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Technician: Joe, Technician replied 5 years ago
Joe
Joe, Technician

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

What model iphone do you have?

If newer model do you have it set up with icloud?

Thanks,

Joe

Its an iPhone4 and no I dont have it set up with icloud

This is the very last thing you can try, if this does not work and since you stated you do not have a backup, then you will need to manually re-enter all contacts.

Go on the iphone to settings>mail,contacts, calendar> scroll down and select "import sim contacts".

If you need any further assistance just let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Joe, Technician
Joe
Joe
Joe, Technician