Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Not ago I replaced my dead battery on my Generac generator…

Not long ago I...

Not long ago I replaced my dead battery on my Generac generator 7kw and now it won't turn on I have all red lights flashing and the green light flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last clean or perform maintenance on your Generac generator? How old is it?

It was serviced just last year it's probably 15 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Generac generator? What have you tried so far?

This is the new problem. It just started maybe within a week or two it has been starting once a week as it should but I haven't been here to notice whether it starts on today or not but it will not turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Engine Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I I don't believe I have anything more to add it's bothersome that it won't turn over with a new battery

1/1/2022
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage? Needs to be above 12.5 volts .  Battery may be new, but can go dead if the charger is not working.
No I do not have a voltmeter the generator does not charge the battery unless it's under load

Most Generac's have a 120 volt charger, that the house current powers, and is on all the time, to keep battery voltage up.  Do you have a jumper box or cables you could use to see if it will spin.  Or follow the positive cable direct to the starter solenoid and jump the starter solenoid from the cable terminal, to the start terminal.

The solenoid was changed when it was serviced and they informed me that this generator only charges when under load I am not sure on how to jump the starter solenoidI am at the generator now and I don't see a data plate I put the generator in manual start and the green light flashes and all four red lights Flash

Do you have a way to jump the battery?

All terminals are tightI could try to use my garden tractor it's 12 volt will that work

Yes.

I'll go get it and I will try I'll get back with you shortly

OK>

I jumped the generator with my tractor it did start and as soon as I disconnected the battery from the jumper cables the generator stoppedAs long as I leave the jumper cables on the generator and the tractor the generator will continue to run all four red lights are flashingWhen I disconnect the jumper cables the overcrank light stays onAre you still with me?

Yes, I'm here, your battery is dead!

Why does my generator not charge the battery unless under loadWith the dead battery is that why it stops when I disconnect the cables?I need a new battery yes or no

If it has no charger, the stator/alternator would be under the flywheel and only charges when the engine is running. On-standby Generacs, there should be a 120-volt connection from the house to the generator, and this is for the battery charger that is to keep the battery up.  If we had your Generac model, we could see if it ahs ab an board charger.

You need to recharge the battery.  You said it was new, take it back to the seller and have them check or replace it.

Where is the data plate so I could give you all the information you need

Without a model, I could only guess, but it should be a data plate on the outer housing.

I'm still checking I'll find it something anywayAll I can give you is that it's a 7K Guardian Plus I see no data plateYou still with me?

I'm here but that doesn't identify the unit. Is this tied into your house through a transfer switch, or just a portable unit?

it is tied to my house. When the power goes off it comes on all by itself there's a switch box in my basement.This all boils down to I have a bad battery and I have to get a new one thank you for your time have a nice day
I will check with the technicians that installed it and see why of battery charging system wasn't put in or if it was why is it not working
OK>
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician