Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My 22kw generac whole house generator has no power to

My 22kw generac whole...

My 22kw generac whole house generator has no power to controller and did not run weekly cycle?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Generac generator? How old is it?

Not sure of model not at location. It is 5-6 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Generac generator? What have you tried so far?

This is first cycle it did not work. No power to controller at all. I have done nothing yet. Need recommendations

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Engine Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Nothing else

10/24/2021
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago
ArielM1124

Hi my name is*****'m sorry you are having this issue. Can you please provide me with the generator model number .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
019333
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Is this the controller your generator has?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I Amon way to get replacement battery. I will see if that is problem. Then will write again
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Yea the battery could be the cause. Let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
New battery now have power. However message "charger missing AC". Note to check battery. I think trickle charger not functioning?
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

The controller has a built in charger. If you access the wires connected from your house to the generator check for 120v on the T1  to neutral.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I check on generator or power cabinet in garage?
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Check generator side. The power comes from the t1 FUSE in the ATS. But check generator side and then we'll take it from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All there breakers on generator in on position. I flipped off and back on bout yellow light still on.
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

The 2 breakers on the generator are your output breakers , that not what you need to check. Around the controller there a metal plate with Allen screws. Take the plate off then behind the controller your going to see a black plastic cover, pull the cover and you'll see the T1 WIRE n N1 N2 that are coming from your ATS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have black cover off. Warnings of high voltage. I see all the wires. I see red N1 and blue N2 wires. Both seem secure.
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

You are looking for T1. Do you see it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
one black wire it is secureGrey wire
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Well you need to check for voltage with a meter. Be careful touching those wires that have voltage

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have voltage meter. How do I check
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Put the meter in AC VOLTS. Depending which meter you have its the setting that has a V and a scribble line not a straight line. Then put your red lead in the t1 WIRE and the black lead on the neutral or ground wire. If the installer used the correct color codes neutral should be a white wire and ground a green wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I touched red to T1 and on the blue N2 wire and got a full +22reading
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

No you aren't touching n1 or n2. Only T1 to a neutral(white) or ground (green)

Can you send me a picture of the wire terminal?

Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok so put the red lead on the t1 WIRE(black) and the black lead on the white wire behind the t1 . It says N and has other wires connected to the same terminal block. That is your neutral

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same positive 22 reading
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Can you send me a picture of the reading on the meter ?

Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Oh wow that a classic meter. You might have to put the dial to 250 on the meter

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now reading is +18 below that in the white question mark spacethat was 18 on red AC 10v line
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

No I think is reading 120v . The +18 is if you have the scale to 10 I believe. So assuming you do have 120vac which is correct then the issue could be a bad controller or the black wire is not all the way in. From the picture it looks like it could be out. Carefully with a screwdriver pressure down on the screwdriver indentation to release the lock and see if you can push the black wire in more.

On your meter the green number are your ohms. You aren't worry about that. The numbers should need to look are the black numbers that are scale from 0-250

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay that was a little more than 120Black wire is in as far as it will go
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Then it sounds like a bad controller. In the front of the controller there a rubber cover, check the fuse under just incase.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I shined light in it and appears fine not burnt. When I plug back in it turns back on and message still there.
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

There one more check I want you to do before condemning the controller. Give me 1 hour until I get home to check the wiring diagram. I want to check for 120v directly at the controller.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

ok behind the controller you have several connectors, you are looking for a 2 wire plug that is long. Is not connected directly behind the controller like the other ones, that is you battery charger connector. I want you to unplug it carefully and on the side NOT going to the controller check for 120vac there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok wait I have to go back outPlugs are all under controller. Is it the one with white wire going to back of controller.
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

yes that one

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Getting sane positive reading of 120+
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

ok the built in charger is bad. Does you generator power your entire house?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HalfDuring power outage
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

You have 2 options.

First one you can replace the controller, a new controller would probably run you a few hundeds.

Second options is to buy a 12v trickle charger and installed it BUT make sure you plug it in to an outlet you know the generator backsup.And ignore the charger message you are getting in the controller. The generator would still work in the event of an outage with that alarm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I will look to see if I have extended warranty. If not I will buy new controller. If not warranted can I come back to you later for assistance to install new controller if I need help
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes you can ask for me Ariel.

Have a good night.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ariel this is Larry. We worked on my generator yesterday. I have questions if you can assist
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Sure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Asked about controller issue and was advised that there may be a another option. Person said behind or under controller is a battery charger part to replace. I have looked all day but can find no how to videos. Found a part that be the part. If I provide you info can you confirm. A lot cheaper than a new controller.
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Sure send me what you have.

Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

No that won't work. That is if you had an older style transfer switch, this kit would provide the T1 voltage to your controller to power the charger. Is is basically a fuse, fuse holder and a wire.

https://www.zillerelectric.com/products/0g92540srv-generac-battery-charger-wiring-kit

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there something separate from the controller that trickle charges battery.
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

As far as I'm aware there isn't another option other than replacing the controller or installing a regular auto part charger .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Thanks for looking
Technician: ArielM1124,
 replied 1 year ago

Not a problem, good luck Larry.

ArielM1124